Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Pickers Tag or Token!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Been sorting through some of my finds from this past year and this kinda stuck out because I've seen guys on Youtube find similar items. I did find it in what would have been an old farm field well overgrown with trees now. It's a copper disc thinner than a penny and about the size of a 2 center. I know that usually they have the farmers name on them or at least the full initials but all this has is what appear to be an I or 1 and definitely an E and the larger number 28, which looks like 23 but it's not. If it is a pickers tag then that's a bucket list catch and a real surprise because I never thought I'd find one. And this was way up in the woods which hasn't been farmed in over a 100 years. I do remember it rang up like a quarter.

Ground is now frozen and as Ohio Turkey Hunter said it's going down to 5 F tonight and the Arctic front is going to stay with us for the next couple of weeks. I'm going to either have to make a sled for the dog or get him some booties for his walks as his little paws are getting packed up with slush and ice and he really doesn't like it and I don't want him to refuse to go for his daily walks.

If I find anything else unique that I tossed in the ???? pile I'll post it for the duration of this weather. And I am otherwise BORED stiff.

Stay warm out there and HAPPY NEW YEAR! (Heathy one too!)

Ed
what a great catch Ed! I'll trade you our low is supposed to be -8 tonight , I guess the extra few degrees don't really matter though except maybe on the heat bill...
Stay warm and healthy!
Pat
Nice tag Ed and glad to see you still out there digging!!

Happy New Year to you and yours!!
http://inspiredbarn.com/wp-content/uploa...alph12.jpg

Hi Ed: Nice puzzler, but there may be a solution. If my picture doesn't get loaded properly, check out this web site. You'll see a vintage key tag, much like yours still attached to it's key. Businesses used them to keep track of which key went where and who logged them out. Stay warm and keep posting. Happy new year too! If you get the site but not the pic, scroll down about a dozen photos and you'll see the selected photos. By the way, did you ever get an age approximation on the crucifix that you found, and then we found pics of virtually the same one.

http://www.inspiredbarn.com/2010/12/coll...d-numbers/
(12-27-2017 10:49 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]http://inspiredbarn.com/wp-content/uploa...alph12.jpg

Hi Ed: Nice puzzler, but there may be a solution. If my picture doesn't get loaded properly, check out this web site. You'll see a vintage key tag, much like yours still attached to it's key. Businesses used them to keep track of which key went where and who logged them out. Stay warm and keep posting. Happy new year too! If you get the site but not the pic, scroll down about a dozen photos and you'll see the selected photos. By the way, did you ever get an age approximation on the crucifix that you found, and then we found pics of virtually the same one.

http://www.inspiredbarn.com/2010/12/coll...d-numbers/

Shade that's a very close match on the tag and I think you've hit it. Could very well be a key tag as well. Now that crucifix, nearest I can tell is late 1800's. From 1880 on. I have not been able to find any photos of one with a bale parallel to the cross. But the one that's shown on the antique crucifix website is so close a match that I can't rule out another manufacture making one like the one I have to avoid copyright issues. And since that one on the site is from that era, I'm going to assume mine is as well, I guess. Thanks for the input and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Ed

(12-27-2017 10:44 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Nice tag Ed and glad to see you still out there digging!!

Happy New Year to you and yours!!

Thanks Ron! Happy New Year to you and yours as well! But I found this tag in my ???? pile. I would love to go out but it's too cold for even a trooper like myself. World of difference weather wise from last year to now. Brrrrr..... it's now a balmy 12 F out! And going up to a whopping 18 F!!! Yes No There's no Smilie for "Maybe!". Chuckle

Ed
Reference URL's