Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Minelab Spring of 2018!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is a true story of experience, regret and renewing of relationships, between men and machines. Emptying my soul, so to speak. So don't get overly excited. But read it because there may be some of you out there that can relate and this may be of value.

Many of you know that I really disrespected my Minelab Explorer SE Pro during the 2015 season and part of the 2016 season. As a result I lost it to malfunction within the motherboard. This entails the machine being soaked during severe rain and thunderstorms, dropped repeatedly, rolled down hills and "living" in my truck, 24/7, in all weather conditions, except for the very few times I brought it in to clean it up.

In retrospect, I'm a retired Bricklayer. My brain thinks that the detecting machines I use are Hilti or Makita demolition hammer drills, which sell for less money, work everywhere in all weather conditions and knock down masonry walls, drill deep holes repeatedly, get thrown around, abused, wet, overheated etc... but they last a way lot longer and perform exceptionally every time you pick them up. As a note, my favorite 2# Estwing lump hammer and 2" chisel are 40 years old. They still perform. Flawlessly. Unfortunately my detecting philosophy follows those exact same guidelines. But I have realized in the end that I am the software, program, muscle and skeleton for their specific use.

During the related seasons of 2015, 16 and 17 my silver totals were 107, 61 & 72 FTY. Without a doubt my full year of 2015 with the SE Pro was my best total. This isn't bragging, this is fact. I'm not bashing the AT Pro because I've made some really great finds with it this past full year and part of 2016. But my heart is with my Minelab. And I've learned all these years of the sunrises and sunsets to follow my heart. So I've made the plunge and have bought another good used Minelab Explorer SE Pro. I know it's discontinued. I now know it's not a Hilti or a Makita hammer drill. And I know it's a silver magnet!

What you guys don't know is I've gone over all the areas I hunted with the Minelab with the AT Pro. Sometimes it was a bust, sometimes a surprise. But most of the silver I've found this year is in areas I NEVER hunted with the Minelab SE Pro. This coming year the plan is to head back into those areas with the Minelab and see if it makes a difference. I think it may. But as you guys understand, you never know.

The reality of this whole wordy exposure on the net is that when the new used machine arrives, it will not even leave the house before I make some changes to it's field protection, it's storage and how I treat it as a machine. I still own 2 other coils with the shafts and now I'll have an additional 11" Pro coil.

I have a 20 year old Ford F150 truck that runs like a rabbit; maybe I can push 20 on this new SE Pro!

Ed/Ohio Dirt Fisher

ps... Hi Joe! Happy New Year!
Good luck with the SE Pro. I have found that confidence in the machine is critical
Hello Ed and thanks for sharing your MDing thoughts in a very nice essay. It is hard to explain how a human can "bond" with a machine, but in our hobby, I don't think there is anyone who has owned and used a number of detectors who can't identify with your sentiments. The same feelings manifest themselves with regards to cars, guns, tools--almost anything we use, know, and trust over time. I guess appreciate is a better term than bond. I use power tools in woodworking all the time, but I somehow get more satisfaction doing a job with my ancient hand plane or my old chisels than I do with a router or plunge cutter.

I bought an old White's 5000 two years ago. It works but needs some tweaking to get it's zing back. It's old and heavy, and clumsy to use, but it brings back memories of so many successful silver hunts in the 70's with an identical unit, when every outing was a treasure hunting adventure. I like my current Teknetics detector, but I loved that older one, and I really would like to restore my replacement to it's prime. It would be fitting for the detector and for me. So with these thoughts in mind, let me say I enjoyed your personal story and I sympathize with you completely. You have a knack for telling the good tale. Good luck with your "new" SE Pro and best wishes for many great hours of detecting.
It is great that you have replaced the Explorer , I have greatly enjoyed reading of your exploits with it and the AT Pro over the years.
Your post made me stop and think for awhile about my Fisher F2 , since I upgraded to the AT Pro it has been my car detector , meaning I keep it in there for those spur of the moment "hey I've got 20 minutes to detect" times. I had taken it out of the car before the cold set in and removed the batteries , but just tossed it into a corner. I have now dug out the detector bag I used to use for it and put it in there.
It isn't anywhere near the machine your Minelab is , but I made more than enough finds with it to pay for itself . It is really lightweight and well balanced. I actually still enjoy using it , and it has made some of my finds from the season that just closed.
I look forward to seeing the results of the coming season and your new Minelab.
Pat
(12-31-2017 02:43 PM)Digsit Wrote: [ -> ]It is great that you have replaced the Explorer , I have greatly enjoyed reading of your exploits with it and the AT Pro over the years.
Your post made me stop and think for awhile about my Fisher F2 , since I upgraded to the AT Pro it has been my car detector , meaning I keep it in there for those spur of the moment "hey I've got 20 minutes to detect" times. I had taken it out of the car before the cold set in and removed the batteries , but just tossed it into a corner. I have now dug out the detector bag I used to use for it and put it in there.
It isn't anywhere near the machine your Minelab is , but I made more than enough finds with it to pay for itself . It is really lightweight and well balanced. I actually still enjoy using it , and it has made some of my finds from the season that just closed.
I look forward to seeing the results of the coming season and your new Minelab.
Pat

Thanks Pat! That's an interesting note on the Fisher F2. The way I have the jumpseat set up in my truck, I've made a kinda cradle (with old bath towels) on sections of the seat to lay in and lock down the detector with the rear passenger side seat belt. And then hang the headphones off the rifle rack. Whether it be the AT Pro or the Explorer. I beefed it up (cushioned it) a lot more when I got the AT Pro and it's probably going to work well with the Explorer as well as it's not really form fitted and I can adjust it as needed. My problem with taking the machine in and out of the truck is I'm usually too tired to do it. Although this coming season I think I'm going to make a habit out of bringing it in and cleaning it up at least once a week. I'm also going to buy one of those 3 piece camo wraps for it as well, out of either England or the Ukraine. And although I am getting really slack over here on the variable weight dumbells staring me in the face every morning, I'm going to have to face reality and start working out because I'm starting all my hunts with the weighty 12x10 S.E.F. coil I have for the Explorer. I was usually only good for an hour with it in the past and I'm not getting any younger! Chuckle But thanks again for the well wishes and hopes for 2018. I suspect I won't do too badly but part of the hunt for me is a positive attitude and the thrill which keeps me going. Honestly Pat, if I didn't go detecting about every day, I don't know what I'd do. This living in an apartment and by rules set down in the lease makes me feel as if I'm in prison. Even going up and walking at the mall is a drag because no stores there have anything I really want or need. Fortunately, we are expecting a break in the weather here for about a good two weeks. I hope I have an opportunity to get on the board for January because I've got 2 more quart mason jars of pennies to clean and that gets very stale after a while. Although I'm finding a boatload of wheats and Canadian in the first jar and have no idea why. Guess I was too tired to separate them out. You know me, "The Silver Seeker!" LOL!!!

Happy Hunting my friend and hope you have a great season!

Ed
Ed, sorry to hear of your machine trouble but you have to admit with all you and all of us do with them - out in the rain, cold, wind, dropping them and of course not cleaning
them - they go on for long periods, until one day it's not there for you.

I understand how you or anyone does get attached to these crazy things.
I know I will miss favorite Explorer if she craps out.
I am also attached to this crazy hobby and I as you would just keep a going with a newer or renewed machine. The fund never stops.

I always did like seeing your finds. You are like a Ferret, just out there digging away for hours on end. Man I don't remember ever going out for the long periods
of time that you have. And in all kinds of weather but it paid off for you with some impressive totals in the past few years.
Best of luck in 2018, I have a funny feeling it will be your best year yet.
Reference URL's