Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Oh Joy, Oh Rapture!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
And now I play a game called, "Where's the Wheat?" ! Kinda like, "Where's Waldo?", that I used to play with my kids way back when. One quart jar of dug pennies yielded $7.50 in salvageable Memorials, very few Zincolns, ~ $2.00 in Wheats and around $2.00 in total toasted mix of same. There were eight dimes, a couple quarters (When I'm tired, I'm tired.) and a solitary nickel. Good way to keep busy I'd guess as I've already dusted the paint off the furniture.

I may get out this week even if the ground may be partially frozen. They're saying 40's and 50's Wednesday and Thursday with some passing rain and mid to upper 30's Monday and Tuesday. It'll be muddy but I don't care. Got to get out and breath real air! Dig real dirt!

Ed
Hi Ed. When I first read your report I wondered why your ratio of found coins was so different from my experience since I restarted in the hobby 2 years ago. With pennies, I find mostly zincolns, then regular memorials, and very few wheats. After some thought I realized it's our hunting areas that cause the differences. Your woods approach puts you in areas that were in prime use a number of years ago and relatively untouched since. By necessity, I hunt mostly parks and playgrounds that have had many of the older coins stripped years ago and then overlayered very frequently with new lost coins. It was a good read on a cold shut-in Sunday! BTW, any steel pennies in that number? It's a balmy 42 degrees here now---a welcome relief from the entire last week.
I don't hunt enough to have anything nearly as large of a stockpile to go through , it looks like that was a great way to while away the cold days. I hope the warm weather gives you more fun things to clean and sort.
Hey Shade , I have only seen a few steel cents ever posted . I have dug one for sure and one that I suspect was a steely. The one for sure was coated in a greasy substance at an old garage site and the other that I suspected was so rusty It was hard to be sure.
I think the dropped steel cents rusted away , or maybe they just don't get posted , after all they are just a wheaty.
HH
Pat
(01-08-2018 12:50 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Ed. When I first read your report I wondered why your ratio of found coins was so different from my experience since I restarted in the hobby 2 years ago. With pennies, I find mostly zincolns, then regular memorials, and very few wheats. After some thought I realized it's our hunting areas that cause the differences. Your woods approach puts you in areas that were in prime use a number of years ago and relatively untouched since. By necessity, I hunt mostly parks and playgrounds that have had many of the older coins stripped years ago and then overlayered very frequently with new lost coins. It was a good read on a cold shut-in Sunday! BTW, any steel pennies in that number? It's a balmy 42 degrees here now---a welcome relief from the entire last week.

Shade,

To allay any of your fears about ratios I must confess that these are pennies I've dug over the last 3 years. Figure about a quart jar per year. I have never cleaned pennies with the tumbler in the past, prior to my purchase of it about 3 years ago. Prior to the tumbler I used to wash them and scrub them in the utility sink and that was a real task. They were starting to pile up so I decided to tumble the ones I've collected since then. I really didn't have the motivation to do it. Now that I can kinda do it without much physical effort I thought I'd give it a whirl. But even with a plain water pre-rinse and then just a squirt or two of Windex and a drop of Ajax dish washing liquid, it still takes about 4 hours to get presentable and rollable results. And the reject pile is about 25%. I'm getting about $1 to $1.25 from each tumble that are worthy of coin circulation. The rest are pure junk.

As far as the steel pennies I've only ever found 1 that could be called a steel penny. I could pick it up with a magnet and only read one side, the wheatback. It was really otherwise toasted. I do have a number of them from the coin collections I did when I was just a boy and they are still in pretty good shape from when I found them in circulation in the 1950's. Plus I inherited a pint mason jar of wheats that my grandmother set aside a long time ago. No IHP's though, which was kind of strange.

They sent a skidsteer around the parking lots with the big scoop and scraped up a good deal of the ice in the drive and parking areas today. We got about 2" of wet snow overnight and the temps reached 37 F. It's currently 35 F at 8:30 pm, and the latter part of the week looks promising for detecting in the woods. The snow that fell has all melted down but we can't see grass just yet. By Wednesday I think just the big plow piles will be around. Hopefully the ground thaws. Hope you can get out and at least do the yard!

I got the new used Minelab Explorer SE Pro in the mail today and it's in pretty good condition. Threw some batteries in it and took it out front and did some tests on the sidewalk (no reinforcement). Seems to be working AOK so I may use it this week unless it's too rainy. I ordered one of those 3 piece covers for it and am hoping that's all I'll need to protect it.

Ed

(01-08-2018 08:32 PM)Digsit Wrote: [ -> ]I don't hunt enough to have anything nearly as large of a stockpile to go through , it looks like that was a great way to while away the cold days. I hope the warm weather gives you more fun things to clean and sort.
Hey Shade , I have only seen a few steel cents ever posted . I have dug one for sure and one that I suspect was a steely. The one for sure was coated in a greasy substance at an old garage site and the other that I suspected was so rusty It was hard to be sure.
I think the dropped steel cents rusted away , or maybe they just don't get posted , after all they are just a wheaty.
HH
Pat

Pat!

I whiling away all right! Up to $10.50 + in rolled pennies. Also worked on another project. I'm posting it later tonight.

Ed
Reference URL's