Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Shadow Boxing!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was tossing out the trash in the dumpster today and noticed this shadow box frame in there that was new but unused. Me, being the dumpster diver that I am, took it home and played around with it. I used some of the sticky dots that I got from Dollar General and cut up some file folders I had laying around to do the background. It's nowhere totally complete because my wife is going through the files from the last ten years tossing stuff and that's been quite the chore, so my mind wasn't completely in focus. And as you can see the sticky dots already lost a Washington within the first hour! It's a representative sample of coins I've found over the years with the exception of seated, IHP's, LC's, V's etc.... I have a few ideas about what I'm going to do but if you guys can think of anything, let er' rip!

Ed
From one scavenger to another, Good Find there Ed. I never pass the dumpsters here without taking a look inside to see if there might be some goodies available. This has been the subject of some interesting posts here over the last 2 years.

My home is filled with shadow box frames displaying artifacts, coins, shark teeth---whatever. There is no better way to display than with a shadow box, and I find the deeper the better. I like putting coins and arrow points on a felt surface - it just looks good. A framing mat would be another idea, particularly if your frame is not deep. A professional mat can be pricey, but it will set off the display and draw the eye into the center where your coins will stand out. I have found that silver and copper coins look real good on a red felt surface. My choice for sticking things on is a hot melt glue gun. It holds well but can be pulled off easily. The frame of representative coins is a great idea and I'd love to see a pic when you get done with it. Good luck on your project.
(01-09-2018 01:09 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]From one scavenger to another, Good Find there Ed. I never pass the dumpsters here without taking a look inside to see if there might be some goodies available. This has been the subject of some interesting posts here over the last 2 years.

My home is filled with shadow box frames displaying artifacts, coins, shark teeth---whatever. There is no better way to display than with a shadow box, and I find the deeper the better. I like putting coins and arrow points on a felt surface - it just looks good. A framing mat would be another idea, particularly if your frame is not deep. A professional mat can be pricey, but it will set off the display and draw the eye into the center where your coins will stand out. I have found that silver and copper coins look real good on a red felt surface. My choice for sticking things on is a hot melt glue gun. It holds well but can be pulled off easily. The frame of representative coins is a great idea and I'd love to see a pic when you get done with it. Good luck on your project.

Shade! Thanks! I love dumpsters! You should see what these people throw out up here. I could start my own second hand store! Some of the stuff still has the tags on it!

That red felt is a great idea and I own a glue gun (somewhere around this place). I wanted to do a red white and blue background, possibly the state flag of Ohio. And introduce some kind of map of the local area. I was out shopping with the wife today and because groceries are what they are, my mind was elsewhere. I have to go check out the fabric departments of Walmart and Joanne Fabrics. I still have the two clock frames intact and was thinking about splitting up the different kinds of finds in each. The smoke is beginning to come out of my ears now!

Thanks for the nudge!YesBeer

Ed
You guys make me feel lazy , most of my good finds go into a spool cabinet that I bought a long time ago. When I get in the mood I take them out and look them over , but the rest of the time they are out of sight , out of mind.
Between the picture and your chat with Shadeseeker , I think you are on the way to a great display. With the finds I have seen you post it could be a great thing to share with friends and family.
HH
Pat
Reference URL's