Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: It is brass but what is it??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It is brass but what is it??
This object is made of 1/8 inch brass...The base is 1 1/2 inches tall..base with tab is 3 inches..top opening is 2 3/8 wide..1 1/2 inches front to back..bottom is 3 1/4 inches wide and 2 5/8 inches deep..turning it upside down the base has a roughly cut hole at each corner and a smaller hole in the center..also roughly cut...there was at one time iron bolted to the tab on the back side of the object with a bolt and square nut..the nut being on the outside of the object...the iron that is still attached to the tab is about 1/2 inch thick.. I can't find any marks of any kind anywhere on this object..
[attachment=10217][attachment=10216][attachment=10215]
Hi Maryej: That's another interesting find you've come up with. If we are allowed to guess, I'd suggest that it is something on the order of a base for securing balusters (or spindles) of a railing or staircase to a flat surface such as a staircase tread. The flat side would be attached to a surface and the baluster inserted into the opening and secured with a screw through the tab. I'm trying to attach a photo of a bronze baluster base from a place called Antique Bronze. Looks similar. Anyway it's fun to guess and looking for other ideas.[attachment=10218]
Hi Shadeseeker, that could be what it is!!..From the pictures, you posted I can see how they are very similar. It is a beautiful peace. Solid and heavy! This was found in a local (to me) fairgrounds. I had thought it could be from a carnival ride too. But I think your guess may be closer to what it really is..lol. You never know where people put things or why!! Thanks for your response! I am excited to see what someone else thinks it is. Someone knows for sure. They always come in after a few guesses. What fun. Happy
I was thinking the same thing as Shade , I did not have as much documentation to back up my thoughts though...
Thanks for sharing an interesting puzzle.
Pat
Reference URL's