Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: I need help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(03-05-2018 11:47 AM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-05-2018 11:39 AM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]That's it

they're called "Celts" --- not "celtics"

they were used similar to axes, or hammers, and farming implements (ie) to dredge rows to plant corn/etc.

I'm sure they could be used as a "head basher" and probably were on occasion but 1st and foremost they're a tool.

Thanks MRH! The fella at the site called it a Celts. I assumed Celtic. First three letters got to me again. So are they a native american artifact?

Ed

Yes sir

they're native american all the way (the ones found here anyway!).

my buddy Kyle found one last spring in a farm field too
I took the axe to the local museum yesterday and he said basically what Shadeseeker had said. He did verify that it’s authentic! Said it was not 100’s of years old but 1000’s of years old. Gave me the name of an archeologist and said I should have him look at it for more details. Have not been to him yet.
I’ve collected all my life and have never seen one with the cross groves like yours, not even a pic in a reference book
Please share when the pro has to say about it
BT
Well, I Took the axe to the archaeologist on Friday. I also took some of my mothers points/arrowheads that her mother had found in their garden in New Concord where my mother grew up. A quick note about the points is that the majority of them were really Old and there were a few that he said was from “Flint Ridge” (Newark area). He said that the Flint Ridge points/flint was an exceptional Flint and it was used for trading. He stated that they have found Flint Ridge points as far away as the East Coast that had to of been traded to get over there. Extremely interesting and informational . About the axe, here are a few notes/observations that he found.

The cross grooved pole is extremely rare. He has only seen pictures but has never seen one in person. And never has he seen one from Ohio area. That fact could tilt the scales either direction. Someone faking this item would have had an extensive knowledge of Indian artifacts to have known or seen a grooved Poll axe. It’s so rare that the tendency is to consider it fake because there are not others to compare it, to authenticate it.

Looking close at the axe he could not find any modern tool works or patterns or anything that showed him that it was modern made. There are “plow marks“ on the axe that have dried up dirt in them. The assumption is that if it was modern, someone would not have placed it in a field to be damaged and packed with mud. They could have intentionally damaged it and put dirt in it.
It was also noted that the two sides of the axe are slightly different. One side is smooth and light colored while the other side is stained darker and has what would seem to be dried up mold or some sort of stuff on top of the polish and is rougher. It’s almost as if the axe was laying 1/2 in some mud or damp soil with half of it sticking out exposed to the sun.

After an 1 1/2 hour visit, his conclusion is that he has no proof that it is fake, there are more signs on the side of authentic. The stone axe was probably not made by the native Indians from around here. He did say that with these Indians, they were mound builders, a lot of the mounds were ceremonial mounds, and if the axe was indeed found around here his conclusion would be that The Indian that owned it had probably traded for it along the way and it was probably a ceremonial piece that he would’ve been buried with to take to “the other side“ with him.

Bottom line..... it’s going in the gun safe for now until I can figure out a good way to display it. It’s staying in Coal Run Ohio where I know it’s been for at least 40 years that I can remember.

The pictures are taken one with flash and one without
That's very interesting news and some very good forensic archaeology! Glad you could network with someone like that. Yes

Ed
(03-11-2018 10:40 AM)Ben Town Wrote: [ -> ]I’ve collected all my life and have never seen one with the cross groves like yours, not even a pic in a reference book
Please share when the pro has to say about it
BT

I have tried to google a pic of another grooved poll axe but couldn’t find one. There are ssssooooo many pics of axes! I asked him if he has seen one before and he said “yes, not in person but yes.”
He told me to google it several different ways. I just don’t have the patience. I’d like to see another example
I was just revisiting this thread and must’ve forgot to add that the local college geological department looked at the axe(Celt) to try to see if the can get an idea on the granite. There best thought is that the granite is from Canada. Could’ve been traded for from up there or possibly pushed down from the ice age. Just thought I would add that bit of info
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's