Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Its been a long time..45yrs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good afternoon everyone. I first developed an interest in TH'ing around 1973. Not having much money, I built my first Metal Detector from an article in a magazine. It was very basic. Wound my own coil, completed the circuit board and gave it a try. It required a small transistor radio and sure enough I found some old coins in a park. So the bug bit me and then I saved up and got a Whites (can't remember the model number). It had a ground exclusion Balance and Discriminator circuit and was expensive at the time. I Used that for a few years and ended up finding lots of coins and rings (nothing of great value). Had lots of fun in those days, when you could go in parks and school grounds without running the risk of getting chased off. There was a lot of easy finds then.

Moved on to career, family and other interests and haven't gone out for maybe 35 years, Just recently my interests have come full circle back to TH'ing. I do need to get a new detector and would appreciate opinions of what to get. Plans are to spend some day trips around MN, ND, SD, WI to hit up some of the small towns. Thanks and look forward to sharing future finds.
Welcome to the forum from NE Ohio! As to detectors, there are so many out there now that are good to great, I couldn't hazard a guess to suggest anything. Seeing that you are a coin/jewelry shooter in the upper midwest, the only questions are how much are you going to use it and how much money do you want to invest in one. You could start small, as some beginners do, but it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the basics, 45 years ago or not. So I'd say start up with a mid level machine and give it a spin for a couple years before going any higher on the invest end. I will say that things have changed "a lot" since 1973 and definitely watch youtube vids of all the machines that fall in that mid level category. Ergonomics and weight are also factors you have to watch for. If you get real serious about detecting and detect
many, many hours in the field, those two items can be a blessing or a curse. I'll let a few others weigh in as everybody has a favorite detector!

Welcome aboard!

Ed/Ohio Dirt Fisher
Welcome back to this great hobby and to our great forum. I am jealous that you got to hit parks back in the 70s when silver was more common and closed to metal detecting rules were few.
I have only used Bounty Hunter , Fisher , an older White's and a Garrett AT Pro , so my advice on a detector would be limited.
I have to agree with ODF that given your prior experience probably a mid range machine would be a good fit , but we don't know what kind of a budget you have or any physical limitations you may have. I think you will find that the technology has advanced quite a bit and detectors for the most part are lighter. There are some people still in the hobby that still use old school machines with great success though.
Whatever you choose for a machine , I look forward to hearing your stories and seeing pictures of your finds.
If you have any questions about the machines I have listed I will try to answer them , but there are surely more experienced people on this site than I.
HH
Pat
Hello 1975th, back in that year I was reading true crime and other adventure magazines. Then I met my wife and that was put onto a back burner until 1991. I started with a Garett’s then unto Whites and Fisher and Minelab. Now I own a Nokta Impact.
This hobby is crazy but fun when you make a terrific find.
Decide on land, water, relics or old coins first before you decide on a machine. Use You Tube videos for information not for watching someone dig up stuff
That way it helps you and you gain good knowledge from it.
Best of luck, if you jump into the hobby.Happy
hi
good luck to u for ur future finds.
Welcome back to the hobby and good luck 1975 ther, there are still old coins to be found out there just got to do the reasurch. There is still stuff in the parks but mostly out in the less detected areas. I mostly do farm fields and do the reasurch where old schools , churches and houses stood. Less people traveled these areas but less people detect them also.
Garrett, Whites, Fisher and Minelab have great detector just have to know what kind of detecting you want to do and fiqure out your price range lots of good specials come out for spring time
Happy Hunting Steve
Reference URL's