Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Can most detectors find a pile of silver coins?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I posted my first two silver coin in one hole find about a few weeks ago when I was out with Joe Grasso.

Recently I saw a post on another forum about a new detector can not find multiple silver coins in one hole that are stacked together.

I take that to mean touching each other.

I am wondering if the machine just doesn't give an accurate signal when multiple coins are stuck together. My reasoning is I usually find multiple coins in the same hole when the ground is very moist like early spring. Doesn't matter what machine I used - Whites, Fisher- Garrett or Minelab and now the Impact.

I must not be aware of the signal, is it jumpy all over the place or it makes me think it is junk and I pass it up?

Crazy hobby for sure, I will have to experiment with this now that it is getting dry and will not be digging many holes.

Tony
This is a great topic to bring up and think I've seen that video Tony. I think it's that one about the stacked penny's which is pretty controversial being he's using an AT Pro. All I have to say is the current settings I'm using, which are pretty high on all levels, would probably throw an overload on a roll of coins. Which is really something to think about. Now I've found quarters and halves very near each other but only when I had the machine quieted down. So I guess one should turn down the radio and re-evaluate both overloads and extreme nulling. Although I've run into such nulling that you'd think there's a 58 Buick buried under you and no matter what, you just have to avoid the area.
Again, great post as it makes us think about a situation we might pass up for junk! Yes

Ed
Ed, yeah I agree. I learned that lesson awhile back to check out those over loads. You never know what is hiding besides the big iron.

One person told me that on the Explorer series detectors that you have to be in advanced mode in order to detect large coins (halves and dollars) or stack of coins.

I have been remiss because I haven't tested this out for my self. Testing is the only way to understand what the machine is telling us.

Tony
(06-16-2018 08:26 AM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Ed, yeah I agree. I learned that lesson awhile back to check out those over loads. You never know what is hiding besides the big iron.

One person told me that on the Explorer series detectors that you have to be in advanced mode in order to detect large coins (halves and dollars) or stack of coins.

I have been remiss because I haven't tested this out for my self. Testing is the only way to understand what the machine is telling us.

Tony

Tony,

As a follow up to this question I've kind of done a thought through and determined that the best way to overcome an overload is to either dig it or turn down the settings and make a call. Ya know we all run into so many of these overloads during our hunts over time that we can't just forego it as junk or a horseshoe or a big can. I hate to say it but I still find myself digging up chunks of iron or scrap, sometimes out of curiosity and sometimes just plain old boredom. But that's the way of the Detectorist. One really never knows what lies beneath the signal. And that's what you know. You know, eventually, what the machine tells us. HH Big T! Yes

Ed
Ed, I understand and agree with you.

I have been digging or investigating over loads for sometime now but I didn't in the beginning.

When there are multiple coins either in a pile or spread out but very close together, the signal isn't exact and many times it might fool us into thinking it is junk.
If I am tired I do pass it up for another day.

Best of luck,

Tony
Reference URL's