Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: 2013 detecting was dismal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[attachment=1117]
[attachment=1118]

Last year sucked with only 10  silver coins   ,a gold bracelet charm ,gold earring  with a small  diamond  , a sterling  religious  cross ,a couple of  dozen wheats and a  very poor showing on clad . No new places opened up  for me and it was  just a rehash of the same old places .  Had a lot of  problems with  my camera/computer  too  and am trying  Image shack but I'm  having a lot of trouble figuring it out .I'm  taking a  break from the  Explorer ( unless some  new promising dirt becomes available to me ) and  hitting the targets that are left at my nearby sites with a lightweight Tesoro Vaquero I started  using in mid November . .Here's my last hunt of  last year . I went again  Jan 2nd  and had a similar  day  but without a  junk ring and earring .I gotta say the old shoulder is feeling like  new and  it's  more fun to hunt again . It's good to see my pictures can be shown here without a lot of sizing issues .Sorry for the poor quality I had to go back to using my old Kodak without the Macro setting . Printer / scanner is acting up too . I've come pretty close to throwing this computer and all this crap in the garbage ( it still may happen ) I know it would sure simplify things . I'll keep detecting as long as I can though !

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL !! YesBeer
We've all had slow years, George, I've had my fair share as well...trust me Yes Gets tougher every year, what with the onslaught of new hunters to the hobby & the deeper machines, the silvers are getting harder to come by, BUT...

They're still out there! A lot of them are masked by iron/junk, some are a tad too deep for current detectors, and the rest are hiding off the normal beaten path that others like to hunt. So, while having new sites is always preferred, sometimes you simply have to try working an older site in a new way Wink Case in point...

Around here in Northern NJ, every conceivable park, patch of grass & older site has probably been detected a million times by clubs, other detectorists, etc. However, as cliche as it sounds, nobody can get everything! That's the truth. There mightn't be tons left, but there's goodies there. Based on my own trial & error, I know digging anything under say 4 or 5" is clad or junk most of the time, so, I'm really listening for the deepies that other guys were too lazy to dig, or simply didn't pick-up on. Additionally, I tend to dig VERY borderline/trashy deep signals. I find many oldies this way. Of course, I also dig a TON of iron/junk too, but, one would be surprised at how many deep coins give off signals that are junky. 

Not saying this way of hunting would work for anyone else. Matter of fact, if you look for jewelry also, as well as the coins, this might hurt you. A gold ring or a gold bracelet might be only an inch or two deep. However, I'm mainly searching for coins on land. So, my way of working works fine for me. You have to come up with a similar strategy for your parts, George.

Finally, new spots are hard to come by. But there might be ones close to you that you've never considered. If none of my older sites are producing (or I get bored), I will simply pick random spots in the woods to hit if I have nothing else on the back burner. You might get a couple of dud spots, but, sooner or later you'll stumble onto a little section that was missed or never worked properly, and will start flipping coins like there's no tomorrow!

I've never swung a Tesoro, but, I believe Deathray (Ray) has, as well as a few other members. Any questions you might have, just post away.

The best news is about your shoulder Happy Heck, if that's working properly, everything else should come into place in 2014 Yes

P.S. - If you ever have any technical issues uploading pics, or need a hand, just give me a shout Wink

Joe
Thanks for your great reply  Joe . I'm in agreement with all you  said .
Considering  where I'm hunting  I'm probably  doing alright . As far as the  newby's go , I am now seeing  signs of them  hitting  my out of the way  spots but  it appears they move on  quickly . One of my  spots is  huge and  I've  been hitting it  for  20 years and  like you said " no place is  hunted out" and once in a while it will still  spit a  piece of  silver out  ( a few years  back I scored a  1814 1/2 Real there  ).I've  used Tesoro's over the years  so I'm fairly familiar with them .I hope to be posting some  decent finds soon . Take care and  best of  luck to all .
Dont feel bad George, i didnt find anything too spectacular in 2013 either. Heres to an outstanding 2014!BeerBeer
Hey George-- at least we can all still get out-- so it was a great year --just with fewer finds!!

Best of luck in 2014!!
(01-06-2014 01:46 AM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]Dont feel bad George, i didnt find anything too spectacular in 2013 either. Heres to an outstanding 2014!BeerBeer

Thanks Ray , I wish you an outstanding year  and to all that are reading this as well. YesYesBeerBeer

(01-06-2014 03:05 AM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Hey George-- at least we can all still get out-- so it was a great year --just with fewer finds!!

Best of luck in 2014!!

For sure  Ron !
Best of luck to you in  2014 also .
 Aw , fug it , I  got's to find me a nugget !!! ChuckleYesYes
Reference URL's