Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Detecting Pet Peeves
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We all have our little 'things'. Stuff that just drives us nuts. Even when it comes to detecting. What are yours? Mine are...

1. Forgetting gear (knee pads, pinpointer, etc.) & then arriving at site and realizing it. ESPECIALLY frustrating when I leave it RIGHT BY THE DOOR, and I still forget it Angry

2. Getting a fantastic signal - deep, soft, good VDI, repeatable - only to pry the plug open and see a gazillion roots, with no way in high holy hell to get the target.

3. Being in an old spot, digging down upwards of a foot & pulling out a freakin memorial or other piece of junk.

Joe
number 3is the story of my life dude!! A few years back me and some buddies hiked down an insane canyon...was even called Lost canyon. No trails and out in the middle of nowhere. Had to use a rope for final descent. Im thinking big nuggets. Get a signal and dig....a friggin corona cap!! F#!$!!!!
(01-06-2014 11:19 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]number 3is the story of my life dude!! A few years back me and some buddies hiked down an insane canyon...was even called Lost canyon. No trails and out in the middle of nowhere. Had to use a rope for final descent. Im thinking big nuggets. Get a signal and dig....a friggin corona cap!! F#!$!!!!

Gotta hand it to ya, Ray, ya gave me a damn good laugh with that one...and I needed it, tough ass day! 'The Lost Canyon' lmfao Laughing Betcha wanted to use that rope to hang yourself after you saw the Corona cap?!?! Well, sounds like we have similar luck, hombre Yes You know things are tough when you manage a forum & STILL can't make banner! I'm like Rodney Dangerfield, no respect. No class too, but, that's for another conversation Tongue

Joe
I will throw in my top 3.

3. .22 shells

2. Shotgun Shells

And my number one pet peeve is,

"That's really cool!  How much is it worth?"

That one drives me crazy.  I don't care what it's worth!  I saved that little piece of history. Most of us probably have the dream of finding that horde of gold and will become billionaires. But the truth is, I have never sold a single find and never will.
(01-07-2014 08:23 PM)SLCdigger Wrote: [ -> ]I will throw in my top 3.

3. .22 shells

2. Shotgun Shells

And my number one pet peeve is,

"That's really cool!  How much is it worth?"

That one drives me crazy.  I don't care what it's worth!  I saved that little piece of history. Most of us probably have the dream of finding that horde of gold and will become billionaires. But the truth is, I have never sold a single find and never will.

We're on the same page Wink I've sold some gold rings before for cash, as jewelry (unless it's inscribed or can be traced back to the owner) means nothing to me. However, I would NEVER even think about selling a single coin or relic I've found. Why? First, I've put a LOT of blood, sweat & tears into digging. Time away from family, days off (non-paid) from work, etc. Second, the HISTORY of any item is worth WAY more to me than making a few bucks on a sale. Sure, if I was offered some ungodly figure, say hundreds of thousands or millions for a find, I'm pretty sure common sense would kick in lol, but, anything short of that, no dice Yes

I don't look down on anyone that does sell their finds, as everyone's motives & station in life is different...it's just not my cup of tea.

Joe
ok ,just realized one of my biggest pet peaves...the word TRIFECTA!! Dont know why,but it drives me nuts! Guess Im just wierd ,cause I also hate that word "macchiato",as in a friggin caramel macchiato latte. Just order a friggin milkshake !
(01-08-2014 05:42 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]ok ,just realized one of my biggest pet peaves...the word TRIFECTA!! Dont know why,but it drives me nuts! Guess Im just wierd ,cause I also hate that word "macchiato",as in a friggin caramel macchiato latte. Just order a friggin milkshake !

Guess you were never a pony player, Ray. Trifecta's are nice Wink I'm not a big Starbucks fan, I actually prefer Dunkin Donuts. I think their coffee is 1000 times better. However, the few times I've actually went to a bucks, I'd just ask for a small or medium coffee, and everybody would look at me like I had 10 heads. Do I REALLY need to say grande and all that other crap?!?! I'm in the middle of the freakin hood ordering a cup of joe!

Joe
haha,I hear ya,folgers for me!Then slam a Rockstar. Its all about the caffiene! I have a brotherinlaw who is a coffee snob. He was working for me ( can u imagine that,lol) on a job out of town. I would buy the guys coffee and dognuts at the 7-11. He would have to make his own special stop at Starbucks....fine,buy your own coffee!
#1 is one of my most recognized faults, so much so that I go through a mental checklist now before I even shut the doors and lock up the truck. Being a half mile away and "then" reaching for the pin pointer that's not there makes me so mad I almost see red.

I can also tell you the preferred beer of choice, by percentage, from every park and beach I detect. Not many people can say that, but surely the signs which say, "Alcoholic beverages are not allowed.", truly are meaningless. (Volleyball courts are now starting to show "Ultra" caps more than ever before, from those who are "carb" conscience no doubt.)

And if I ever buy another pair of ill fitting, crappy designed, fall down the calf knee pads, I'm going to design my own and patent them. The last pair I got I have to diaper pin to my jeans for them to stay in place. Hurts like hell when you wear shorts.
I got out today, and need to add a few more...

1. Getting a deep, faint, repeatable high tone, digging the plug, and the freakin target IS IN THE PLUG or in the top of the dirt! What's up with that?!?!

2. Phantom signals, need I say more?!

3. Getting an awesome signal...then moving the coil over a half inch to find out its a 'bleeder'. What sounded like a deep, barely there whisper tone is now a signal a couple of inches deep...and probably clad Headbang

4. Ok, this one's for us smokers. Being on a hunt & noticing you have one more butt left, or worse, NONE Sad

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's