Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Minelab's Sweet Symphony Video
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Check this link out. From Minelab.http://www.minelab.com/usa/consumer/sweetsymphony
(02-07-2014 11:58 AM)bulletbob Wrote: [ -> ]Check this link out. From Minelab.http://www.minelab.com/usa/consumer/sweetsymphony

That was COOL! Brilliant marketing play by Minelab, IMO Yes They understand the demographics and are using it to their advantage. Most of the age ranges in this hobby skew toward late 30's on up. Not exactly spring chickens. However, with all of the recent publicity to the hobby, the TV shows, etc., Minelab is trying to capitalize on that. Trying to snag that important 18 to 29 demographic. They're also showing that metal detecting can be fun. It's not just guys on the beach with black socks & sandals looking for loose change. Genius! Be honest...

Can anyone really see Garrett or Tesoro coming out with a similar spot?! Probably not. Maybe First Texas...maybe. Bottom line...

Minelab is doing everything right; Releasing cutting edge machines that are leaps & bounds above other units, which they then control the market with, putting out hip, 'with it' advertising/marketing, pushing the bounds of technology, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Obviously, ML isn't the only game in town. Many detectors for a variety of applications, but, if the other guys don't catch up with ML soon, not so sure they'll ever recover market share. Just my 2 shits Happy

Joe
Thanks for posting bullet. Hadn't seen that.

First off let me say I love Minelab..My brand of choice......but.....

This ad made me angry.

I'm extremely cynical when it comes to advertising -
I realize by its very nature it is dishonest...

Advertising's main function is to make people want something that they might not otherwise buy.

But this is beyond dishonest.
Its ludicrous.

Its no different than the beer ads with multiple bikini clad women coming to dip in the hot tub with the dudes that have a 6 pack of bud.

But re framing detecting as cool?
Like you can be as cool as some hip dj out there picking up women while you detect?
The worst is the scene with 2 chicks checking him out at the end.
I've seen several women look at me while I detect, and its usually from behind a smart phone taking a video of the nutjob digging holes.
Maybe its because I don't wear a nightclub outfit while detecting.

I'm ok with being a geek.I have my whole life.... The L.A. djs have their nightclubs. Never the twain shall meet.

I'm done ranting...
Wow, Micah, tell me how you really feel? Lol. This is great actually. Exactly why this forum exists...open discourse.

Honestly, I didn't get any of that from this video. Rather, I found it funny, entertaining & cool. Are they trying to sell something? Sure, it's advertising. Same crap as when you buy Lost Treasure or W & E Treasure and every other page is an advertisement. It's the reason I DON'T accept advertisers on this site. I hate it just as much as you do Wink However...

I give big props to ML for putting out an ad like this. Shows they are with the times. Aside from ML, every other manufacturer seems to be puking out the same old detectors with a new name and packaging. So, this ad is just their further attempt to continue to dominate the market. In this case, they are obviously trying to connect with a younger audience. Nothing wrong with that. Heck, I'm actually MORE offended by those stupid White's ads (which interestingly enough, got me re-started in the hobby again after many years) that show random idiots running around yelling; "Just look at this 4 carat diamond ring I found with my White's!", or, "You too can find the good stuff by getting a White's. Like this 18K necklace I found on my second outting!". Come on, pure fluff. They're pitching to the masses when they know damn well that maybe 5% of the people that buy a detector will be able to do this without getting frustrated. Or, will stick with it for longer than 2 months. They aren't targeting the history lovers, like we are. They aren't targeting the people who do this for the rush, the excitement, like us. Quite simply, they're targeting the get-rich-quick crowd. Folks sitting at home on the recliner thinking; "Yep, I'm gonna git me one of those Geiger counters and hit the big one!". Is that any different than Minelab? Minelab's just doing it in a better, hipper way, IMHO. Just like they do with their products Wink

P.S. - Speak for yourself, Micah. I happen to think I look DAMN sexy in black socks & sandals lol.

Joe
I recently saw a Side Bar ad from Minelab on YOU TUBE  that I thought was very classy and took their marketing to a whole new level. Wink

Anyone else see this ad?
hehe 
I hear ya Joe.
I know its supposed to be a fun video...
I just get ticked reading comments from 14 year olds on youtube saying they want a detector now...because that ad has nothing to do with detecting at all.

I agree that most people who buy 
detectors based on advertising will not stick with it regardless once they 
start actually trying it.

I guess I just prefer the "check out what John Bullhorn of Indiana found on his second outing" ads because that actually happens, albeit rarely.

Whereas being a superstar-chick-getting-dj from detecting...not so much. 

Detecting has absolutely nothing to do with a slick,cool image.
no matter how cool they try to make their ads.

Ultimately its 2 different target markets.
Those who think it would be cool from watching that fantasy, 
and those who actually detect.

But like I said I am pretty cynical when it comes to advertising.

P.S. on the black socks - you got a few years til you have to break them out.
(with sock garters to match of course) Wink
(02-07-2014 09:03 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]I recently saw a Side Bar ad from Minelab on YOU TUBE  that I thought was very classy and took their marketing to a whole new level. Wink

Anyone else see this ad?

$hit, Ron, is that for real, or a photoshop? If it's real, that's AWESOME Yes 

P.S. - If it's indeed genuine, I firmly believe you should be naked in the ad. Sales would SKYROCKET!!!!!!!!!

Joe
Ron thats Awesome!
Is it photoshop?

You're famous!
It's real.  It is a rotating ad on you tube and other banners.   It is actually three images that starts off with my nugget and the dime then it goes to the scale photo  and then it goes to my mug! On the thin banners at the top of web pages, it cuts me off so you can't see my mug. it is tied to Ad Sense so only people with similar searched etc will see it.

If  you go to you tube and type in Metal Detecting Minelab.  I might pop up every 15th ad or so.  Took me about 15 minutes to show my kids.  XP Deus comes up a lot!!

But no-- I did not Photoshop that one.  

Someone emailed me and actually told me they saw it.  I had no idea that minelab was going to use the photos.

Minelab marketing gal contacted me earlier after seeing the video on YouTube.  She asked me to fill out the online "Success Story" and that they could use a few good pictures for a news release on Facebook or something!!  I of course gave them the green light!!  I have no problem with people stroking my ego!!

I thought it was pretty cool! My kids thought I was cool for about 10 minutes and a great EGO boost.

Sorry for tooting my own horn!   It's fun to be a "VIP GEEK" even if just for a few hours!! Happy
You've earned it many time over Ron!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's