Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: What detector is he using?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Look at the pic in the article. At first, I thought the soldier was using an ATX based on how the coil looked, but, control box looks too small. And it doesn't seem to have the larger round shaft tighteners. Anyone guess what he's swinging?

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/world/afgh...-1.1606985

Joe
The article must have rotated off as I did not see it.  Unless I am missing something!

So I can not tell you what detector!!  Happy
Sorry about the pic, guys. (Attached below). This one's bugging me. Maybe it's just a standard military grade mine detector.

Can you guys imagine having to wear that get-up while hunting?! Geez. I can't imagine the guy wearing any headphones, how do they hear the signals thru the suit?

P.S. - Be kinda funny if the soldier was a treasure hunter, and he got all excited & startled. The armed troops behind him would say; "What is it, a mine? An IED?

"Oh no, sorry dudes, I think it's a mercury dime!!!" LMAO

Joe
[attachment=1204]Hey Joe,

It could be a Garrett Recon Pro but the search coil doesn't match. Maybe this is an export version. The coil has a horizontal cross member. Garrett has no such coil. Maybe this is the new Mine Lab that they've been talking about. And he must have it on speaker. I don't think anybody around those guys would be complaining about "Beep, beep....." lol.
Thanks for putting the graphic together, Ohio Yes I was thinking the same thing, the coil doesn't match. Probably some heavy duty, industrial use mine detector. If memory serves me correct, doesn't Minelab have the contract to service the US military?

Joe
I don't know about the Mine Lab contract, but I don't think that's the US military. First clue is they all have facial hair. These guys are Turkish, or Middle Eastern. May be their buying US surplus.
Yeah, I didn't mean the guys in the pics, lol. I'd vote middle eastern, as well. I'm pretty sure ML has the contract for the military, but, I'm gonna try and track down the info. Reason I bring it up, you mentioned ML has a new PI unit. I'm wondering if it's been implemented for service yet with our troops.

Joe
I saw on Minelabs' website a military FS3 model and the configuration is different than the pic. It's not even similar to the CTX or ATX. A lot beefier looking. Could be somebody has one out in field trials, but that's a heck of a way to try out a new detector. I looked around at all the big mfg websites and Garrett and Minelab are the only two I found that had military models. I don't even know where to start looking for items of that type outside of the regular mfgs. Maybe Janes (???) has something.
Anyway, those Hurt Locker guys are either crazy or nuts. All that protection is meaningless when it comes to the pure concussive force. Just a good way to salvage the remains.
I don't remember the name of the machine but it's not a minelab or a garrett

I saw one on ebay about 6 months ago

it's an older unit (like 10 yrs old and older)

the guy had it listed for a starting bid of like $1200 or so

It's a military issue machine - 

I posted the link to the auction on Dankowskies and Keith replied to the thread

I'm sure the thread is still there someplace but the link to the auction is most likely dead or at least the pictures will be gone -- maybe the name/maker is still in the auction link though
Reference URL's