Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Harbor Freight Tumbler Conked Out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was cleaning literally my final batch of clad from last year in my Harbor Freight tumbler, last night. I left it spinning for a few hours, then returned to empty the barrel/drum. As I got closer to the tumbler, I noticed it wasn't spinning, and there was a faint burning smell. So, did one of the infamous rubber straps snap, or did something inside the unit fry itself? I'm not complaining as I've had this HF unit for a couple of years, so, for $30 I damn sure got my monies worth. A few of you had mentioned the rubber straps before, do I just unscrew the tumbler apart and replace it/them?

Joe
yes I am pretty sure there are belts inside and you just unscrew that is mostly what goes wrong
Thanks, Steve. I hit HF yesterday & picked up some spare belts. Gonna try replacing them tonight Yes

Joe
If the motor still runs it's a piece of cake.
Take the four screws out of that silver plate and the rest is pretty obvious.
Make sure the drive pulley and the drum pulley line up or you'll break another belt. There's a screw in the pulley hub that holds it in place which you use for alignment.
I can't remember if there's an adjustment for tension or not but mine was always pretty loose.
You're up to it Joe , I have faith in you  Happy
[attachment=1220] Here some coupon's for Harbor Freight for FREE Stuff don't have to buy anything. Good till Feb. 28 2014 Just print and take to the store. Got all six the first time I went, then a few days later they only allow one coupon.
Bob, I LOVE those HF freebie coupons! They normally come in the junk mail flyers, then, when I have time, I shoot over to the Saddle Brook location. Looks like a late start this year for us. Snow probably won't melt until June, lol.

Joe
Joe,

What medium are you using in your tumbler?
(02-21-2014 06:59 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Joe,

What medium are you using in your tumbler?

Well, I used to use a little fish tank gravel & dish soap, it worked great! Problem was it was a pain in the arse to separate after cleaning. So...

I saw online where someone used a simple Brillo pad, and figured I'd try that. I've been doing it that way ever since. Simply fill the barrel with warm water until a hair over the coin line, then, just drop in the Brillo pad. Voila!

Gets my coins pretty clean. Not quite as good as the gravel, but, good enough to cash in. Of course, on extremely tough coins and/or batches, might have to go through another tumble, but, other than that, works like a charm Happy

P.S. - Thank you everyone on the tips for tumbler repair. I replaced the belts last night. Fired up just like new!

Joe
That's a new one. I'll try it!! Thanks!
Brillo pads are a different idea--I might try cutting one up to increase the surface area and give that a go. I had an old gal tell me Polident work good so I tried that--NNNNOOOTTT. The stuff effervesces and popped the lid on the tumbler what a mess. Aquarium gravel is too expensive for this poor boy so I use a handful of 3/8 " crusher fine from the driveway. It's limestone and works like a charm but changing the water is the best aid. Get one of these for sorting your coins and media 
http://www.goldfeverprospecting.com/ga12incl.html. Dimes won't go through but the rocks will
Reference URL's