Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: I Finally Did It!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Did something this weekend I should've done a long time ago...

QUIT SMOKING!!!

I've really been feeling like crap lately: run down, congested, bad cough, etc. My pack a day habit was catching up to me. Decided to kick it to the curb.

I'm on these electronic cigarettes now, called Blu. Let me tell you, if you haven't tried these before & you smoke, get one of these! It really helps holding something in your fingers to pacify yourself. You get just enough of a nicotine hit from these things to keep your mind satisfied, and best yet, you can even use these indoors, as there's no smoke involved. So, if your nerves are jangled cause you quit, these electronics will ease you into being smoke-free...without making you nuts! Lol.

I tried the patch before, and it worked for me. I quit for a year or so. But, IMO, these seem to work better. As with ANY stop smoking aid though, the most important thing is the MENTAL. You've got to be ready to clean up. Without that, heck, nothing will work. If you're ready however, check these Blu's out Yes

Joe
Congrats and hope you kick it for good!!

I am sure you will feel better and be able to detect longer!!

Hang in there Joe!!  Do not revert back to the Dark Side!! Happy
Ron, those words mean a lot, THANK YOU Yes

Don't get me wrong, I DO miss smoking, and I WILL miss smoking...especially during a hunt. But, wanting to see my son grow up & enjoy his life FAR outweighs a little stick of tobacco. 

Aside from smoking, I lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle, eat terribly, have bad genes, and am a walking ball of stress. So, combined, not a good scenario. Gotta lose something, and the butts made the most sense. Only one day after quitting, I actually feel better, have more pep in my step, and can breathe easier.

Now we just gotta warm up a bit so I can get out & detect...the only form of exercise I know. Aside from shoveling snow, lol.

Joe
Good move proclaiming it here and keep that vision of your son as motivation.
I wasn't man enough to quit until after 7 stents and 5 heart attacks  I finally made a deal with a cardiovascular surgeon just before he did a quintuple bipass on me. That was 4 years ago and I'd still enjoy a smoke now and then----- but don't.
Hang tough!!!
(02-16-2014 08:22 PM)Dusty Wrote: [ -> ]Good move proclaiming it here and keep that vision of your son as motivation.
I wasn't man enough to quit until after 7 stents and 5 heart attacks  I finally made a deal with a cardiovascular surgeon just before he did a quintuple bipass on me. That was 4 years ago and I'd still enjoy a smoke now and then----- but don't.
Hang tough!!!

Good for you, brother!!! Often, it takes a nudge or two to wake us up & smell the coffee, but, some people never get that chance. Glad you reached the breaking point & snuffed the butts Yes 

I always asked myself this throughout the years; "how come most of the things we love so much are so damn bad for us?", lol.

Joe
Right on Joe, you CAN do it bud. without getting into toi much detail,lets just say I know first hand about addictions,and nicotene is probably the hardest to stop. I was smoking 2 packs a day,but quit when my son was born. Then a couple years later started copenhagen. Need to quit that, so my wife doesnt have to look at someone without a jaw,lol. Been thinking of trying those e-smokes,may give it a try myself!Ray
(02-16-2014 11:58 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]Right on Joe, you CAN do it bud. without getting into toi much detail,lets just say I know first hand about addictions,and nicotene is probably the hardest to stop. I was smoking 2 packs a day,but quit when my son was born. Then a couple years later started copenhagen. Need to quit that, so my wife doesnt have to look at someone without a jaw,lol. Been thinking of trying those e-smokes,may give it a try myself!Ray

Ray, GET THE BLU!!! Believe me, I'm one of the most cynical people on earth. I looked at everybody smoking these things and would laugh. I thought they were a joke, a fad. They're not, they WORK Yes Yes, there's a small amount of nicotine in them to curb withdrawal, however, it's simply water vapor, not smoke, which is the key Wink Very much like a water hookah. Same thing, in essence. Just holding the damn thing in your hands works great, as you're 'doing something' with your fingers. Helps with the pacifier effect. 

The Blu is a little more expensive versus other brands. Mainly due to it being a bit more powerful, and all the marketing you pay for, but, you can also try Njoy or Eon if they got them out your way. I had the freakin thing sitting on my kitchen counter for months, and never even looked at it. After being sick for a few weeks though, I decided yesterday was the day...quitting time. I opened it up, took a drag, and holy mackerel, it was almost like taking a drag on a real butt. Only downside is, because there's no smoke, you can use it everywhere. I smoked the entire thing last night, all 250 puffs worth; laying in bed, on the crapper, in my office, etc., lol.

I was joking around with my neighbor today, and I said I pretty much have nothing to live for. He looked worried and said; "why's that, Joe?". And I said;  "cause I'm killing off all my vices one by one. What fun is that?!?!" Tongue

Joe
2 Years 03/01/2014.  Only smoked for about 2 years after having been off tobacco for over 25.  Haven't felt this good in a long while.  NyNj way to go man!  It is challenging but way better than croaking from lack of breath.  Hit me up if you start thinking about having one again.  I will hold the mirror for you so you, can see you, kick yourself in the butt.  Good luck man
(02-17-2014 02:09 PM)Dak Wrote: [ -> ]2 Years 03/01/2014.  Only smoked for about 2 years after having been off tobacco for over 25.  Haven't felt this good in a long while.  NyNj way to go man!  It is challenging but way better than croaking from lack of breath.  Hit me up if you start thinking about having one again.  I will hold the mirror for you so you, can see you, kick yourself in the butt.  Good luck man

Thanks, Dak! Gotta tell you, I'm easing into being smoke-free just fine. Of course, the tiny crutch of the Blu's are helping. They're basically weaning me off slowly. Like methadone for a heroin user. Now, the trick for me becomes controlling my appetite, as that's a BIG problem for me. Replacing one bad habit with another, as I start reaching for food (normally unhealthy) to fill the void. When I stopped using the patch years ago, I ballooned up to about 220 lbs., the most I've ever weighed. I normally have a thin wiry build, as I'm 5'11". So, that was scary. Don't want to go that route again.

Maybe we can start a recovery group thread. We can all have sponsors, etc. Lol.

We're all quite blessed to have our health. Even though our time on this earth is limited, we sometimes seem to ignore death & sickness. Almost as if it won't happen to us, or, it's so far down the road we shouldn't concern ourselves with it. IMO, I believe we should be mindful of our short existence as often as possible, as that keeps us focused on retaining our health & vitality Wink

Joe
8 years smoke free for me.  GREAT JOB JOE!  It takes a lot of will power to get there but I am very happy for you!   You will feel much better and good will taste much better!  Again, great job Joe!
Reference URL's