Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: How often do you detect?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Curious as to how much time everyone devotes to this pursuit. As for me, NOT ENOUGH! In all seriousness, before I was self employed, I actually quit several well paying jobs because they were eating into my detecting time. Quit as in: no back-up plan or other work lined up. Yep, once I make up my mind on something, it gets done, lol. Now you know just how addicted I am - leaving a six figure job cause I don't have time to hunt for mercury dimes & barber quarters, hahaha.

On average, if the weather is cooperating, I usually get out 2 times per week. Maybe 12, 14 hours total. However, I'm actually in the process (trying) of organizing my life for 2014 and beyond; work, schedule, priorities, etc. based around my hunting. I want to live! Some things are more important than $$$. Being out in the fresh air, just you & the land...ain't nothing like it Yes

What about you guys?

Joe
Yes like everyone else I do not get out enough, and keep threatening I should quit working. Most weeks I can get out one or 2 days and the are normally sun rise to set.
Then for 3 months I work 7 days a week 16 hrs a day so no detecting.
The problem is I can make a pretty good living by detecting 4 day a week. I do have lots of luck.
(02-22-2014 09:14 PM)Steveo Wrote: [ -> ]Yes like everyone else I do not get out enough, and keep threatening I should quit working. Most weeks I can get out one or 2 days and the are normally sun rise to set.
Then for 3 months I work 7 days a week 16 hrs a day so no detecting.
The problem is I can make a pretty good living by detecting 4 day a week. I do have lots of luck.

Steve, in my haste, I would say YOU'VE GOT IT MADE! Being able to detect 4 days per week?! Sign me up!!! However...

The grass is probably always greener on the other side. Truthfully, one could imagine getting a little bored, or, it becoming a bit routine, since you have to do it for work. I can't imagine so, but, I've never been fortunate enough to find out. I think I'd be able to put in swinging 5 days a week without getting tired of it. But again, who knows.

Joe
Joe and Steve,

I work seasonal in better weather (March through October) but I'm semi retired actually and only work 4 to 6 hours a day and just 3 to 4 days a week unless we are prepping for a weekend soccer tournament, then it's five days. I hunt usually after work probably every other day mostly to give my elbows and shoulders a break. I'd say on an average week, including Saturday and Sunday, I'm out 20 to 24 hours a week. I can go in good weather for 6 to 7 hours detecting only. I work in rain as well, and snow if the ground isn't frozen, fully protected including detector. As long as it's warm out rain doesn't stop me. Unless it's a boomer. Arctic Carhart's can be a PIA kneeling in snow. If I added drive time and making up my mind where to go I could easily add another hour per detecting day. Weekends are my prime time although I enjoy the peace and quiet I get from going out during the week after work. I am literally surrounded by parks and playing fields so picking a spot isn't that difficult, but making up my mind where to go is a bummer.Sad Especially if you started a pattern at one place and didn't write it down somewhere. I keep a half assed log of my search patterns and refer to them occasionally. I sometimes take reference pics with my phone. My woman sees my crabby mug all winter, she say's, "Get the hell out and go detecting."

I oblige her.Tongue
I'm a trash hunter and freely admit it. I try to get out every day if only for a short hunt if that's all the weather or schedule will allow. 2 or 3 hours is a good enough fix. I'll hit a public park if that's all that's available or a school. Occasionally I'll arrange for a private residence but they're seldom very old here.
Not often enough!! I would also like to fish, hunt, hike and camp more! And do all above with my kids n lady. But I work alot, and luckily I enjoy that too!!
Couple hours each day.
there`s a ton of history in the dirt down here. and im diggin it ...
Well Joe.... Like you said NOT enough! If weather is good and no serious family issues or anything tcome up, I try to get out a minimum of 2-3 days after work each week for a couple hours each day. Also I like to get out for a whole day on the weekends. If I have extra time beyond that I spend it in the field. If I don't get at least that much time in a week I start withdrawing hard. I'm a detecting junkie.
Any time I want now that I'm retired. Before that about 1 or 2 time a week.
Dam,Im jealous of all you guys! Right now,lucky to get out once a month. Its sporadic for me.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's