Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Some folks have all the luck!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Sweet Jesus!!! That is incredible!!! Thanks for the link. I didn't hear anything about this. You know...

I'm sure most of us aren't in this hobby looking to get rich. Rather, it's the history, the action, the stories that keep us going. However...

To say that the dream of finding the 'big one' isn't hidden somewhere deep within the recesses of our minds would be off base. It's kinda like winning the lottery, SOMEBODY has to win, though it probably won't be you or I. Still, always nice to fantasize and at least have the glimmer of hope knowing we could stumble upon the motherlode one day Happy

Joe
BTW, if I was ever lucky enough to find even a tenth of a discovery like this, y'all would NOT be seeing it in the media Wink Even if these folks owned the property this loot was found on, there's going to be a major cash grab happening soon; former property owners, Uncle Sam, the authorities, long lost 'relatives', etc., etc., etc.

For obvious reasons, a find of this nature is best kept under close wraps Yes

Joe
Uncle Sam will get his share.
It would be very difficult to wash a hoard of that size without the IRS getting wind of it---unless of course you ran to Rick Harrison in Las Vegas and sold them to him for some of those $100 bills he's so proud of using as a bargaining tool--just before Chumlee takes you over to "do the paper work" Happy .
I think I'd become a numismatist rather quickly. With 1427 coins to practice on , your bound to get it right sooner or later.

Perhaps we're underestimating the finders--it would be a brilliant ploy to come forth with the discovery of 6 containers of coins if in fact there were actually 12.
Here's what I'd do...

I lead a rather simple lifestyle. I don't care for 'things' or toys, too much. Doesn't bring a person true happiness. So, point is, I wouldn't need too much to live on. 

I'd take one of two of the rarer ones, and JUST sell those off. Pay off my bills, sock some away for my son, retirement, etc. Then, I'd simply let the rest sit & rise in value...all without telling a soul except for the absolute closest of family. 

If times get tight, I'd just sell of another piece here & there, as needed. If times are bountiful, I'll leave everything to my loved ones after I pass.

The TRUE value of any kind of wealth is FREEDOM. Living life on YOUR terms without sacrificing. Safety. Stability. Outside of that, the rest is all frills, IMO Happy

Joe
Yea when one of the rare ones could be worth a million I guess it would be like more than enough. I know a guy that found 5  -20 dollar gold pieces detecting and he only got gold price out of them because they got scratched in the ground.
Cool story I have been busy shoveling snow most the day and just heard about it a hour ago
I have no clue what I would do.  I found my one 1853 gold dollar and thought that was pretty damn cool.  Now I need more!
Yeah,thats incredible. Somewhere real close to me too,dammit!! I sure as hell would not tell the media!! But it would take years to wipe the shit eating grin off my face!!!
"But it would take years to wipe the shit eating grin off my face!!!"

Deathray. I laughed so hard at that one I woke my wife up.

I wouldn't tell the media either. I'd follow Joe's thoughts about what to do with it. I saw this earlier on NBC evening news. These people are now toast. They'll have nowhere to hide.

I'll bet Ron has something good to say about this.

It's out there fellas. You just gotta be in the right place at the right time.

Very lucky happenstance for that older couple but I'm sure the grief is yet to come.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's