Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Your pictures and videos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Folks,

Check this site out before posting your pictures,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvZF-yP_ceU

You can still post, but make sure you turn off the gps.

Bob
Holy Cow Bullet, that's good info!!!! I take all kinds of pics with my phone. Especially detecting. I noticed that EFIS Info tab in my photo editor but never took it to mean much. Now I'm paying attention. Thanks Bob!!!!!
That is rally good info, but I think most of that information is stripped when uploaded to a forum or Facebook etc.  Now if you emailed a picture directly to someone from your phone all this info will be on there.

I may be wrong and I am sure someone smarter than I me can enlighten us a little more.

Where is our web guru?
It is true that this data can be passed along with the picture file, especially if the picture is sent directly to someone without any modifications. However, when uploading the picture to a website (a forum, blog, ...) most of the times the original picture is resized and in some cases the EXIF data is partially or totally deleted. However, depending on the software used, sometimes this data is left on the resized picture.

I think most of the pictures don't have any relevant information on them that could be harmful, but it's up to everyone to judge what they want to share or what they want to keep a secret. If you really want to keep every information a secret, you can either disable the GPS info, or (even more secure) use some software to wipe out all EXIF information from the picture (like date, time, camera info, GPS info, ...)
Btw: since I don't take pictures with GPS equipped devices, I can not test this. If someone who uses that kind of device wants to send me some picture, I will be glad to check what information is stored on it (and test it here on the forum!) Happy
Yes, this is true in theory, however, the odds of it happening to you or I would be better than winning the lottery, or, getting struck by lightening. Think about this...

How many forums, blogs, video services, etc. are there out there? Millions. If this stuff happened on a regular basis, all of these sites would shut down. I'm a member of a LOT of websites - detecting related & non - and nobody has shown up at my door yet looking to bump me off, lol. Look...

In reality, not a single person or entity is 100% safe online these days. I mean, if hackers can get into Citibank's database, or all that stuff could go down with the Target customer info breach, etc., etc., etc., I don't think it would be too hard to crack into someone's photos. But...

If we lived our lives in fear over every little thing like this, we'd never leave our houses. Terrorists? Can't go outside! Hackers? Can't go online! Big brother? Can't be too open! 

I'm pretty sure someone isn't home right now looking at the photos of my beautiful mercury dimes, trying to figure out the coordinates of my precise location...meaning, I'd bet my last dollar you're safe here Wink

Joe
Reference URL's