Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: feeling jinxed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My son and I set out this morning looking for an old mining camp that we discovered some info on. After hiking up and  down hills for a couple miles,we came upon where it SHOULD be...but no signs of a " booming mining camp". Well ,we decided to swing down  the hillside,see if we could locate something. Well,the grass was wet with dew,and pretty doon my coil started to act up...pretty soon it was useless.
So we hesded back home,and I grabbed the Tejon. Next we hit a new area of an old stand by....again,lotta hiking,little finds. On the hike back yo the truck,saw a man with 2kids walking slong one of the stone walls carrying a detector. They saw us,so I asked how they did. Man said just saw a huge rattler with about 20 rattles,and we dug some cool square nails...oh,and I think I found part of a gun. GUN!??? Let me see...sure as shit,swinging a good old discovery bounty hunter detector,dude found a derringer,minus barrel. I was happy for him!! heres the pic
[attachment=1286]
Dang, nice find! Did he give it to you, or you just took a pic after bullshitting with him? That sucks about the coil. What happened, did the dew water get in the coil connector & short out?

Maybe you should sell the GB & get a BH, lol Tongue Hang in there dude, we can't even GET OUT here in the northeast!

Joe
Man - that's rough Ray!

(not the gun handle - the whole detector/detecting ordeal)!

Hope you find the camp at some point - would love to see what comes out of it ;-)
Hey Joe,I just asked if I could take a pic. And yeah,it shorted through the connector...fisher5x10..should still be under warranty.
Wayne, I just looked at it as getting back in hiking shape,lol. Im hiking Mt. Wrightson in Az .  in couple weeks(11,000 ft I believe) and Im outa shape,lol.
Well whoever that fella was with the 2 kids and the 20 segment rattler, he's a lucky fella with the derringer. Sorry about your luck though. I occasionally detect in the rain Ray, but I bought a tube of that dielectric Silicon grease at the auto parts store and lubed up all my coil connectors like toddlers with a chest cold. It helps. Also I've heard that sometimes black sand can get stuck between the coil cover and the coil and cause problems not only from wear but damp conditions. And @ 11,000 ft I'd need an oxygen tank!Sad Best of luck on that upcoming trip.
Well, I sent a pic to my buddy who is real good at identifying relics,and he said he is pretty sure its a toy gun. Still pretty old though.
Some days you find the good site, some days you don't!!

But your coil going out sucks on any day!!

Better luck next time Ray!!  When yo finally find that site--shoot me the GPS coordinates so I don't have to look as hard as you did!!  Wink
You got it Ron!Careful with hunting it at night,we saw some BIG kitty tracks,and theres lots of rattlers!
Reference URL's