Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: My intentions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Heres my intentions , by the end of the year i want to have got my first detector, whatever equipment i need and tried and tested it on a beach . 
Not sure how im going to make that happen but im determined to try my best to make it
(03-10-2014 01:03 PM)Scottoh Wrote: [ -> ]Heres my intentions , by the end of the year i want to have got my first detector, whatever equipment i need and tried and tested it on a beach . 
Not sure how im going to make that happen but im determined to try my best to make it

Scotto, first, congrats on your first post Yes Couple of ideas...

You don't need a lot of money, or an expensive detector to get started. Matter of fact, dipping your toe in the water with an entry level model is highly recommended. Why? First, you'll have to see if you enjoy this hobby. IMO, it's the best past time in the world, however, like anything else, it takes a LOT of practice, frustration and trial & error to work through. Second...

You're really not going to know what you're doing for the first 6 months to a year. So, you just need a detector that can teach you the basics. Learning the sounds, different types of targets, etc. With all that in mind...

Some excellent beginner models that won't break the bank are...

Ace 150, 250 or 350
Fisher F5
Anything in the Bounty Hunter line

Buying new is always preferred, but, nothing wrong with buying used & saving $$$ either. Look on the classifieds here (just click the link), or, you can even call around to some pawn shops, as you can sometimes get a great deal. Most importantly...

Hit YouTube up and watch videos of the detectors I mentioned. Research it. Then, once you decide on which detector you're going to get, HUNT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE & DIG EVERYTHING Wink

I'm sure others on here will chime in with their two cents, too...

Joe
Thankyou for the advice . All advice is welcome and my aim is to buy a garrett ace 250. Dont know when because money is always tight
Joe,he did say beach. What beaches are you planning to hit?? Some detectors dont work well on the wet sand.
Ray, Joe.... Hey Scott, one of the things you should think about is where your going to primarily detect at. Ray is correct in that many detectors do not do well in wet sand, either freshwater or saltwater. I mean the coils may be the waterproof type, but the detector has to have the specific software and be running at the right frequencies to do a good job in either type of sand. There are a few of the beginning detectors made specifically for salt or freshwater beach detecting; Detector Pro is one that comes to mind, if that is all the detecting you will be doing. Some of the middle line detectors are called All Terrain in that they can function not only in the water but also on land. Garrett AT Pro and Gold come to mind, and Detector Pro makes one too. There are others and the technology today is moving forward fast. I would suggest you do the research as Joe suggests with Youtube and come to some decisions about where you would really like to detect. Also, the major sellers of detectors like KellyCO and Big Boys Hobbies have all kind of information available to make a decision relative to your needs. Check them as well. Read our posts on Treasure Classifieds as well. Good luck with your decision whatever it may be, but remember, you can always ask us.
Cheers . I watch loads of youtube vids at night . In england where i live its not very historic so the beach is one of the few options i have . I dont drive so getting around is very hard really , theres public transport but thats it really . Even though my wife drives i dont use her as a taxi so .......
(03-10-2014 11:14 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]Joe,he did say beach. What beaches are you planning to hit?? Some detectors dont work well on the wet sand.

Yeah, Ray, but, sounds like this fella is on a real tight budget. Gonna be tough for him to get a proper water machine with a limited wallet. Besides...

Since he's new to the hobby, I'd strongly assume he's going to be hunting the dry versus the wet, in which case any detector can do the job.

If you will be hunting the WET sand, then yes, you will need more specialized machinery...which = more $$$. Dry sand = no problem, as virtually any unit can do that well. BTW...

There are exceptions to everything. Obviously, any of the Ace's aren't dedicated water/wet sand units, but, check out a fella on YouTube called: crack badger. He's been around for years, and is one of the top beach hunters. He has a video where he uses the Ace 250 to find plenty of gold on the wet. It's all in the settings. Again, it's NOT a unit made for wet sand/water hunting, but, like anything else, you might be able to get by with it using some ingenuity & originality. Or...

Just spring for a used Excalibur, CZ21 or Sovereign. If you learn the machine & beaches well, it could pay for itself quickly Wink

Joe
Theres a few beaches in wales and a couple in north west england i wanna try
Its a real shame you don't live in the UK. I take people out detecting to let them try it before they spend money on equipment they just dont need. I take a chap with me at least once a week who like yourself can't afford everything at once. To say he loves it is an understatement he buzzes for 3 to 4 hours. All he did to start with was to stop and have a chat whilst out walking his dog where I was detecting. I saw him again the following week in the same place and he asked if he could tag along and watch & learn.... Any way to cut a long story short the following day he was out with me using a Garrett Ace 250, Garrett pin pointer a shovel and a finds pouch.. All my equipment I use for lessons. Why did I do it, simple He took the time to have a conversation with me about my hobby. Don't be affraid to approach a detectorist if they like their hobby they will try and help you. I'm not unique I can assure you. Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress.

Just noticed ....you do live in the UK... sadly not near me
That's a shame . I would have loved to trial a detector . Il just keep saving and hoping and one day il get my ace 250 and my new hobby will take off ( fingers crossed )
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's