Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: unexpected permission
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I approached a farmer last year who has land on a very historical battlefield from the11th century here in the UK. Well NO was the answer. So I left him my card with my contact details on. I told him if he ever needed to trace cables or lost farm items etc not to hesitate contacting me. I think his reply was " well that will never happen" With gritted teeth and a smile on my face I left. Half an hour ago my mobile rang and guess who it was... YES Mr Grumpy himself... 3 nights ago he had visitors through the night that damaged fences and left what he say's craters everywhere. NIGHT HAWKS I said.. and no it was not me. I advised him the best solution was to either build a 20ft fence or have the land detected properly so no signals were left. He say's they only ever go to one section off his land which is the bit described in an old document from the 13th century detailing the battle 200 years ealier. He has invited me down Friday afternoon when he will show me what area's he wants detecting.
KEEP YOU POSTED

Be polite and leave a card.. you never know whats around the corner  
Oh my lord!!! One can only imagine the historical artifacts that might be under that soil! Take your time & do it right. I'd adopt more of an archeological approach to your digging, as with the age of the property, there's big potential for priceless treasure...not just in dollars, but in historical context. Good luck Yes

Joe
Fingers crossed.. I square off parts of the land with markers and criss cross the section several times before moving the pegs. The section of land he is refering to is an old lane about half a mile long by say 10 meters. The interesting thing is when I first researched that area last year I traced that lane even further beyond his boundary to another farm. It ends in a circle of trees. I believe it's older than what the document say's. Land registry here pre 11 century is rare. My theory is either a roman small holding or even better a Saxon homestead. You never know we all have to dream.
Sounds like a good plan Yes

Joe
Whoa!

Congrats on that!
Keep us posted.
Bet you're up at night at the though!

What part of England do you live in?
I'm heading over to London in late may - early June 
to visit my wifes family (or rather she is Wink I'm bringing my new ctx3030)
If you wanna hook up lemme know...
totally down to take a train anywhere to relic hunt!

-M

P.S. my profile pic is from when we were at Appledore, England ...I'm holding a slow worm that was crawling on the trail we were on...read theyre pretty rare.
Yes would love to... My nearest train station is Northallerton in North Yorkshire. No problem at all picking you up and treating you to a little hunting session. keep in touch.
Dissapointing hunt this afternoon. A few copper 19th coins. and loads of junk. The land the farmer gave me was right next to the road and very small. All the craters were rabbit holes that had given way with all the water we have had over the last few months.. Still never mind I showed willing, I popped into the field next door I know naughty but had to do it I was bored of the crap I was finding. I found a few Tudor relics that I know plus a very unusual lead figure head. I will post a pic tommorror in the finds section.
Papa, if I had a nickel for every hunt that didn't go so well, I'd be a RICH man, lol. 
It happens, at least you know where NOT to detect the next time Wink

Joe
Good luck--something good will pop up and make all the junk worth it!!!
Reference URL's