Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Detecting Sidewalk Strips
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Guys, controversial question...

I know a lot of hunters love those sidewalk grassy strips. To be honest, I've never hunted one, but, have considered it. Thing is...

I know the homeowners don't own them - in most cases - however, I just can't see walking up in front of some strangers house & starting to dig. Frankly, if I saw someone outside of MY house doing that (even if I didn't own the strip), I'd be pretty suspicious, and a bit pissed. Further, I don't know, seems like you'll be viewed as a nutbar, lol. It's just one of those grey areas that's open to interpretation. Again, I've thought about it in the past, but, wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it.

What's your two cents?

Joe
I feel the same way. People care for those strips like it is theirs. I would feel like I was trespassing. There are some nice streets around here with grassy strips that probably hold some sweet silver, but I'm not gonna just go detecting in front of peoples houses like that. They probably would call the cops too.
I know people really find stuff on them areas anytime I go detecting I like being on my own away from people, So I wouldn't even think of going in front of someone's house. No if they did street construction and it was dug up I would be there. Buit I have never done street construction either
They call them tree lawns here. I agree that doing them down a residential street might get you shot, because the homeowners truly take care of them, but the city ones at parks and schools are open territory. Here the city owns and has the right of way on any residential treelawn. I would not do one without at least verbal permission, although I did my one sons in Cleveland and the other ones in Parma and found mostly junk and clad, keys. Bus stops on the main streets are going to be one of my targets in the future. In the older neighborhoods no one really cares about the areas around the bus stops. You can fake it real easy though. Act official, take notes, wear a yellow road vest and a helmet and go for it. Chuckle
Yes, I'm with you fellas Yes Ohio, I feel 100% the same. Schools, parks, etc. I have no qualms about at all. Not one iota. I'm going to start hitting a few. It's just the residential ones I have a problem with. Detecting a strip in front of houses here in Jersey just wouldn't work...ever see the Soprano's? Even though I'm Italian myself, I still don't wanna risk being found rolled up in a carpet in the trunk of a Cadillac abandoned in a dark alley somewhere over a lousy mercury dime I found on some guy named Vito's grassy strip.....a seated on the other hand I'd have to think about Tongue

Joe
LOLYes Joe, that's my good laugh for the night. I forgot and I did do one last summer by a high school they were rebuilding over at W140th near my son's house. Even the Cleveland cops just whizzed by several times without so much as a horn honk. Didn't find much but didn't have the SE either. Nice thing is those lawns are only 3 feet wide at best. Easy swinging!!!!
Remember what I told you, Ohio...mark the date if you wish too Wink I fought going Minelab tooth & nail. I finally caved & got one. I hate hunting without it now! They're coin vacuums, especially silver. The key is though...

Learn those tones! That's the beauty, the magic, the bliss of the Minelabs. Of course, it's going to be a curse too in the beginning, as they will drive you mad at times, especially at a trashy site, lol. But, that's the whole 'trick.' Everyone new to Minelabs always harps on about the set-up, the fiddling, the menus, etc., and yes, I HATE dealing with that stuff (which is why I got the turn on & go Safari), but, you can learn the settings in 20 minutes. There's a million different programs you can use too - good & bad - but the TONES are what takes time to master. Once you know them like the back of your hand though...

You can almost predict what the target is based on sound alone. Not many detectors provide that level of intuitiveness Happy

Joe
Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.  I feel the same, don't want to look like a nut job either.  However, if you can get permission (even though it's city owned here) you can usually find some great coins.  My first silver ever was a 44 war nickel pulled right out of the park strip/sidewalk strip.  I believe they hold a lot and as Ohio said, they're only 3 feet wide.
Now your talking about something I know about,lol.
Heres what I do..I go out early in the morning,drive around the ghetto areas of Stockton,Ca. 
I look for neglected looking ones. Single residence...if its an apartment,or multi family type,theres usually a ton of crap,and also you got the gangbangers. I have found that these strips are untouched,but maybe thats because its Stockton...Im not a badass,but I do know most,if not all of our local hunters are scared pooplessto go to these areas. Early morning is the key..only the drunks,junkies and hookers out then...dealers and gangbangers sleep in. Ray
(03-17-2014 11:21 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]Now your talking about something I know about,lol.
Heres what I do..I go out early in the morning,drive around the ghetto areas of Stockton,Ca. 
I look for neglected looking ones. Single residence...if its an apartment,or multi family type,theres usually a ton of crap,and also you got the gangbangers. I have found that these strips are untouched,but maybe thats because its Stockton...Im not a badass,but I do know most,if not all of our local hunters are scared pooplessto go to these areas. Early morning is the key..only the drunks,junkies and hookers out then...dealers and gangbangers sleep in. Ray

That's pretty funny, Ray. Even better was the time you were watching Cops & saw a house you hunted on the show, hahahahaha! Bad areas? Doesn't faze me...especially if you see some of the areas we hunt here in NJ Tongue Still, not sure if I can do a residential grassy strip. Hate eyeballs glaring at me when I hunt.

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's