Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Advantages of multi frequency?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is a question for anyone who has used both single freq and multi freq detectors. What are the advantages of using a multi frequency machine? What makes them better and how are they better?
Well, for starters, Will, multi frequency units are able to punch deeper in mineralized ground...of which we have a fair amount of in the Northeast. They're also great on saltwater beaches. Mineralization kills most single frequency units on depth.

That alone would sell me on going multiple frequency, but, I'll let others chime in, too.

Joe
(03-18-2014 06:09 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Well, for starters, Will, multi frequency units are able to punch deeper in mineralized ground...of which we have a fair amount of in the Northeast. They're also great on saltwater beaches. Mineralization kills most single frequency units on depth.

That alone would sell me on going multiple frequency, but, I'll let others chime in, too.

Joe

Joe has it covered pretty well here

but

I'll add that the ID'ing of targets is also better because it's using more than 1 freq. at a time to help in identifying the target/s.

In some areas of the country it's almost impossible to use a single frequency machine due to the red clay or salt content, iron, etc. so guys have to buy/use a multi freq. unit if they want to find targets beyond 4 or 5 inches deep. And/or expect the machine to run stable too.

HH
Will, I agree with Joe and Michigan. Even new to the SE I can see the frequency response for certain items. Like those upended dimes yesterday. The digital numbers were a range between 1-28/29 and 5-28/29 when I hit them. And the jumping between each set was fast so I suspect it was the response to each frequency transmitted and received. There was no real solid 3-28/29 (dime signal) on the meter. If it weren't for that, I would have passed them up. All were between 4 and 6 inches in real moist sandy dirt. And they pinpointed dead center.

I dug about 8 of those. All within a 10 foot radius. And now that I think about it that same theory must work for other targets as well. Maybe I should start digging those digitally close jumpy ones by the category of their response. Hmmmmm....
Will, as I & other have written, there are a LOT of benefits to multiple frequency. And we barely scratched the surface. However...

I don't want you to think you're missing anything in the field. You're running the T2, man. It's one of the best. To be honest...

I could never go back to single frequency units...unless it was for a very specific application, such as; for hunting in iron, working tot lots, etc. But...

If I had to choose only a single frequency unit to use exclusively, I would go with either the F75 or the T2. They routinely win many relic competitions, and have found a LOT of coins for people. They're beasts. Truth be told...

I tried the F75 before and 'didn't get it'. However, that was due mainly to my haste, and not really giving the unit a shot. It's pretty much the creme de la creme of single frequency units...and the T2 is basically the same thing, aside from a few bells & whistles. Sooo...

If you're in any way worried about being at a disadvantage, I'd say NOT by using the machine you're using Yes
Yes Will, the T2 is nothing to sneeze at. It's a damn good machine. I know a lot of folks out there killing it with theirs.
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm just thinking of what I might want to get when I'm ready to buy another machine. I know alot of people say that the multi frequencies are complicated. There are simpler to use ones though right. Like the Vx3 would be a simpler version of the V3i.

(03-19-2014 08:10 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Yes Will, the T2 is nothing to sneeze at. It's a damn good machine. I know a lot of folks out there killing it with theirs.

Yes Joe and Ohio. I know the T2 is a monster. I must have been writing my last post while you guys were writing too. I'm not looking to replace anything right now. Just thinking about the future. I just got the M6 to play with too. So those two can keep me busy for awhile.
Okay. It's a learning process anyhow. I researched a lot of machines before I made the jump, but I didn't have a T2, and was seriously considering it. You mention the Whites v3i and it's older brother and it's also one I considered. Regardless of which machine you choose, they all open up a new meaning to detecting. But, that's a personal decision on which you make the call. Any of the top line multi-frequency machines can out perform a single frequency unit once you learn them thoroughly enough to make them useful in the field. Joe and Ron and a few others both know this. And that can take years of experience in some cases. They open up new possibilities on old sites and give you more options for new sites. That is the advantage. But, having a T2 at your disposal, your a serious detectorist. Having a multi or FBS moves you one step higher.

Will, I'm not a young man. I made this decision because that's where I wanted to go. I'll take the heat the machine gives me because that's what I want. I want the challenge. I want the possibilities. I see the potential, very vaguely now, but it's there in my hand and I know it can produce.

And HH wherever you are and whatever machine your with!

Ed
(03-19-2014 10:06 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Okay. It's a learning process anyhow. I researched a lot of machines before I made the jump, but I didn't have a T2, and was seriously considering it. You mention the Whites v3i and it's older brother and it's also one I considered. Regardless of which machine you choose, they all open up a new meaning to detecting. But, that's a personal decision on which you make the call. Any of the top line multi-frequency machines can out perform a single frequency unit once you learn them thoroughly enough to make them useful in the field. Joe and Ron and a few others both know this. And that can take years of experience in some cases. They open up new possibilities on old sites and give you more options for new sites. That is the advantage. But, having a T2 at your disposal, your a serious detectorist. Having a multi or FBS moves you one step higher.

Will, I'm not a young man. I made this decision because that's where I wanted to go. I'll take the heat the machine gives me because that's what I want. I want the challenge. I want the possibilities. I see the potential, very vaguely now, but it's there in my hand and I know it can produce.

And HH wherever you are and whatever machine your with!

Ed

Good stuff, Ohio Yes You know, I have a theory, and I think it holds weight...

Like the real estate game, MOST of what this hobby comes down to is: location, location, location. Meaning...

One can take a $10,000 machine to a site that's been hunted to death, or, simply doesn't have anything worth note; old coins, relics, jewelry, etc., and won't find squat. Yet...

Find a great spot, and you can take a garden rake or vacuum cleaner to make finds. Almost any machine from a bounty hunter on up will do the job. So...

To me, the LOCATION is key. However, once you have the location, then and only then does equipment come into play. And...

At that point, coupled of course with experience and know-how, any of the top-of-the-line units (F75's, T2's, Minelabs, White's, etc.) will produce. I just think the multiple frequency units do it deeper & more stable, while at the same time providing better target i.d.

Joe
Joe,

That's the one aspect of detecting that I'm learning the machine for. VIRGIN ground. Dear God, I love when I say that. Soccer starts tomorrow. Be n touch, K. It's going to be a helluva first 3 weeks with the weather forecasts.

SHOW ME THE SILVER!!!!!
Reference URL's