Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: A little info on that gold coin hoard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was debating wether or not to post this, BUT the people who found it brought attention to it already,so....
I was in our local lumber yard. A dude there is a serious bottle digger. I got to shootin the shit,and he brought up the gold coin find. Asked me if I knew WHERE they where found. No,but I assume somewhere close by....MURPHEYS he said. A friend of his is friends with the couple,and they found it on their property in Murpheys,Ca. Thats about 20 miles from me.
Cant verify if its true, but figured Its new info. Ray
(03-19-2014 12:43 AM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]I was debating wether or not to post this, BUT the people who found it brought attention to it already,so....
I was in our local lumber yard. A dude there is a serious bottle digger. I got to shootin the shit,and he brought up the gold coin find. Asked me if I knew WHERE they where found. No,but I assume somewhere close by....MURPHEYS he said. A friend of his is friends with the couple,and they found it on their property in Murpheys,Ca. Thats about 20 miles from me.
Cant verify if its true, but figured Its new info. Ray

You tryin to start a "gold rush" there Ray!?

If you start seeing a bunch of out of state plated cars around the area - you know what's happening!
Ray, seriously dude, you, Ron, Leo, all of y'all are lucky enough to live in a place where you can actually hit the motherlode detecting. Sure, there's caches probably buried all over the country, but, I would say there's a MUCH higher incidence of them out west, due to; gold rush, bank robberies, land barons, etc. I know it's hard to do, even for me, but, I would try to knock & get permission for as many private properties as you can. Or, keep hitting those camps too, as you pull a lot of good stuff out of them. By the way, let me give you a tip, Ray...

Always remember that, most of the miners & prospectors went bust during the gold rush. The majority of people that DID get rich were the ones selling supplies; picks, panning kits, etc. That's how Levi's got started. So..

In the event that cache was found 20 minutes from you, to hell with going crazy with your detector! Simply have maps drawn up with the exact location of the property, stand on the off ramp of the closest major freeway, and make a huge sign that says: "You Too Can Strike Gold! - Gold Maps $10" Tongue

Get out there & swing brother. Now you know for sure that there IS indeed gold in them thar hills!

BTW, Everytime I see Treasure of the Sierre Madre, I can't help thinking of all you boys in Cali. Greatest treasure movie ever, IMO. 
http://youtu.be/jXuZetmoHhw

P.S. - Do you think Ron got as happy as the old man when he found his 49er miners cache? Did you do a similar happy fancy when you found your gold coin, Ray?

Joe
Hey Joe, I used to do that with a squeegee and a bottle of windex when the GW was backed up to a standstill because of an accident on the Bronx Expressway or such. Extra gas $!!!! LOL But that's a good idea. Although in CA the permit fees and whatnot would probably kill ya.

Ray, you guys are real lucky to live where you do. The revolutionary and civil war never really made it up this far North. Our area was officially settled in 1796. Our big claim to fame was Carnegie and his steel mills, Rockefeller with his oil and Ford with autos and the parts he needed. Lot's of scrap. Scrap paradise. Now the area is near death. I say to the folks I know that the "Rust Belt" is broken.

You guys had the Spanish in the late 16th and early 17th century. And wagon trains West, gold fields etc... and the states that ring CA are chock full of early history and precious metals. Arrowhead hunting here is bigger than metal detecting.

Anyway, regardless of all that, it's nice to know when you're out swinging that you never know what's beneath your coil. And with that find so close to your location, rumor or not, you just never know.

HH you guys.
Reference URL's