Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Safari or E-trac
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been considering upgrading to a minelab and I have a question for all the minelab guys. I have done a lot of research on the safari and the E-trac and what I would like to know is how different are the two as far as actual detecting capabilities? Is the E-trac worth the extra money I mean will it hit on good targets that the safari would not pick up? They are both expensive machines and if the E-trac does not perform much better in the field I don't want to spend the extra money on it. If any one can fill me in I would like to hear what you have to say. Thanks for the help.
(03-22-2014 10:55 PM)PAunderground Wrote: [ -> ]I have been considering upgrading to a minelab and I have a question for all the minelab guys. I have done a lot of research on the safari and the E-trac and what I would like to know is how different are the two as far as actual detecting capabilities? Is the E-trac worth the extra money I mean will it hit on good targets that the safari would not pick up? They are both expensive machines and if the E-trac does not perform much better in the field I don't want to spend the extra money on it. If any one can fill me in I would like to hear what you have to say. Thanks for the help.

Geez, tough question, brother. I have the Safari, and I can tell you it is a COIN KILLER! Best machine I ever used for that purpose. Honestly...

You won't go wrong with ANY Minelab. My own personal opinion, and others might not agree, aside from bells & whistles, depth wise I would say they are all about the same. One might be a bit faster, one better in iron, etc., etc., etc, but, I really don't think an etrac for example is going to get an extra 3 or 4" more than my machine. Now, am I delusional? No, I certainly wouldn't say an etrac is on par with my Safari. It's probably better...on SOME fronts. However, in my opinion, I can't justify an extra $400 or $500 price difference. Again, is it better? Probably, but that would be tough to say unless you've used each machine. I'm sure the guys using any unit would stand by their choice, whether it's a Whites, Fisher, etc. That would make sense.

You never mentioned what you're looking to use it for. For the beach it'll work great, however, I'd really recommend something waterproof, or a dedicated beach unit. This is a HARD, difficult answer. Controversial. Like asking 10 different car guys what car is better, lol.

I say get the Safari or a good used Explorer & you'll find any coin any other Minelab can find...IF you're using it right. Even better, you'll save a lot of $$$. Let the debate begin...Tongue

Joe
I don't do much beach hunting it will be mainly used inland for coins. I could be very wrong because I have never used either machine but it seems to me that the E-trac is very similar to the safari but it has lots of "bells and whistles" that don't really affect it's detecting capabilities. If that is the case then I don't want to spend the money for an E-trac. I work hard for my money and don't want to spend more on features that don't help me find more silverHappy
No debate here--well put actually.
They both use the same technology(FBS) , the same fuel (even the batteries interchange), the same tires (coils) and the testing I've seen on them shows perhaps giving the etrac a 1/2" on depth which could ba attributed to a lot of factors.
I swing the etrac and next plan to borrrow a friends Safari for a few hours to see how it feels and sounds. I think that's the only way to tell to which suits an individual best. The Safari can't be plugged into your computer if that's a big issue for someone. What intrigues me about the Safari is the comparison of the number of tones and points of disrimination and how that translats into real world handling--only some experience will provide that.

If they had both been available when I bought mine ,I would probably still be looking.
I think you guys hit it on the nut shell. The E-trac is better will get little more depth but depending on whether or not a person will take advantage of all the options is it really worth the extra $$$$. For me yes maybe not for you
Hey PA. From my research the only difference between the E-trac and the Safari or Explorer is the E-trac has a wider fine tunability and has supposedly better see through software in heavy iron areas. Going to an E-trac from the get go is an expensive way to learn FBS. IMHO. The Safari and Explorer series, especially in good used condition is a good way to go, but, before you purchase it, ask for the serial # and check with Minelab, by phone, to see it's manufacture date etc... Just to be on the safe side.
Good luck with your decision regardless and HH!
Explorer 2

Best of the FBS series  (in my opinion)
Get a PRO Coil
Sunray probe

Perfect set up for turf Hunitng and not a bad relic machine.  Maybe Get a 8" coil for relics in heavy iron.

Better Tone ID and better Graph differentiation than the E-Trac

False less on deep iron and has a better initial hit than the Etrac on deep coins.

Just my two cents
Thanks to all for your input I just want to be sure I make the right decision before I spend that kind of money on a detector. I will let you all know what I decide when I decide.
Watch a LOT of YouTube videos of the models you mentioned. While not as good as taking them for a test drive, it's the next best thing. Listen to the tones, see how deep things are being found at, watch out for any programs or settings that are being used, etc. Also...

Look up the manual for each online (they're free) and read through them, as well. You want to get a good feel for what you'll be plunking down your hard earned cash for. All of this is also very helpful because...

Once Mr. Postman drops your detector on your doorstep, you've already got a general understanding of the unit. So...

You can just run out in the field asap like I do to play with your new toy Tongue

Joe
Reference URL's