Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Silver Cob?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I found this during march break down in Costa Rica. I brought my detector in hopes of finding jewellery on the beach but came up with change and this. I believe it's silver, it's non magnetic and definitely not aluminum. It's about as thick as a dime and has a coin shape to it but It does however have a small rock like object protruding from the side which really confuses me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Reverse side of possible coin.
Got no idea. Have you silver tested it?
I'm not a cob expert, but, of the ones I've seen, this doesn't appear as a match. You should definitely get it tested however. What does it ring up as on your detector? Take a look at the example photo below...
Joe
The surf wearing away on whatever it is dosnt really help when trying to identify it. You're right that the two don't look alike however the shapes and sizes of cobs are all over the map. I don't have a detector with a display but it did give a loud sharp signal on a high sensitivity. I'm going to test it to see if it's silver tonight, who knows this could just remain a mystery lol.
Once again, Eric, I'm not saying it's definitively NOT a cob, however, in my best, non-expert opinion based on seeing quite a few over the years, yours doesn't look like one judging from the pics. Let's see what others have to say...

Joe
Sorry-- I vote NO COB

Look more like some sort of slag or something.  Just looks like the metal "pooled" -- like it was melted and then cooled.  

Sure it's not aluminum?  Beach fire pit--aluminum can--Presto!!
Test it then let us know the result plz
Have it tested. Could be melted solve coin or jewelry. Check weight as well
Reference URL's