Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Beach Detecting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, this summer i am planning on going to more beaches and try my luck there. I was wondering if anyone had any tips of where to swing the detector so im not there all day looking in the wrong spots. Thanks.
Well, MOST of the best stuff is found in the wet sand. Additionally, there's much less junk to contend with compared to the dry sand. However...

A lot of detectors (aside from dedicated beach units) have trouble on saltwater beaches due mineralization. So, it depends on what type of detector you'll be using, if it's waterproof, etc.

Short answer, the closer you get near the water (even better, IN the water), the less junk, and better chance of finding silver & gold. Even working the wet water line (where the water stops on the dry sand) is excellent. Now...

Not saying you can't find anything in the dry sand, but, mostly everyone prefers to work the wet for the reasons stated above.

Joe
Most of my good finds have been found in the area between edge of the wet sand up to the dry sand cut. In my area, it seems that most of the targets i find in the shallows are junk/slag type stuff and dry sand yields lots of trash with occasional clad. I use a SovGT with WOT coil. Also are you the same Eric Foster famous for the legendary PI machines?
Good advice. I would love to try out a PI or even build one. I can usually never get very close to the wet stuff with any of my VLFs.
(03-27-2014 05:52 PM)DetectorOCD Wrote: [ -> ]Good advice. I would love to try out a PI or even build one. I can usually never get very close to the wet stuff with any of my VLFs.

PI's on the beach are a double edged sword. Yes, you'll find stuff VLF's wouldn't come close to hitting on, but...

You are going to be digging through a LOT of junk without the use of discrimination. Of course, it's not ALL junk, you'll find plenty. It just depends how much/little trash one wants to wade through Yes

Joe
thanks for the advise, ive only ever hunted one beach and stuck to the dry sand and oly found modern coins. Ill try the water next time and let you know how it works for me. and no i am not that eric foster. wierd how we share the same name though.
a lot of the minelab machines work pretty good in the wet sand not talking in the water- explorers, soverigns
Reference URL's