Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: The weather was BEAUTIFUL yesterday
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
No foolin. I got out to my favorite spot. Took the M6 with the 950 coil and Sunray probe. My thoughts about the big round coil were right. It just couldn't punch through the ground here. Good solid tones were hard to find. I didn't even get alot of pulltabs. The deepest I dug was a big pulltab at 7". The deepest coin was a wheatie at 5"and it sounded bad. I thought for sure I was chasing a false hot rock signal, but after I pulled the plug and rescanned the whole it was a solid coin hit. I'm done with big concentric coils. I did find two wheaties, a chewed up round ball, some more lead, a souvenir flattened penny, and one of each clad coins. My wheat to clad ratio is amazing so far this year, but still no silver. I think my next hunt will be with T2 and big DD coil. Maybe I'll get a little deeper with that one. I love the T2. Might have an M6 with Sunray probe for sale soon.
Nice haul for a day even still. I found one of those pressed pennies about a year ago and until that time never knew they existed. I wouldn't say the concentric coils don't have a place in detecting but the DD is a great step above. There were some times when I would get fed up and switch the DD on the Delta and put on the 8" concentric. Mostly in dry ground areas on hot days. I don't use it much anymore on that machine since I got the 13" ultimate for it. I'd do an area with the ultimate, and then the next time out do that same area with the 10 X 5, and surprisingly enough find stuff I missed with the ultimate. The concentric's are for the beginners anyway as they make the machine easier to learn and understand. But the M6 is a very good machine so I'd hang onto it if it were me. Maybe get a DD coil. Oh, WHEATS make me thirsty for more silver!!!!Tongue '
(04-02-2014 08:15 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Nice haul for a day even still. I found one of those pressed pennies about a year ago and until that time never knew they existed. I wouldn't say the concentric coils don't have a place in detecting but the DD is a great step above. There were some times when I would get fed up and switch the DD on the Delta and put on the 8" concentric. Mostly in dry ground areas on hot days. I don't use it much anymore on that machine since I got the 13" ultimate for it. I'd do an area with the ultimate, and then the next time out do that same area with the 10 X 5, and surprisingly enough find stuff I missed with the ultimate. The concentric's are for the beginners anyway as they make the machine easier to learn and understand. But the M6 is a very good machine so I'd hang onto it if it were me. Maybe get a DD coil. Oh, WHEATS make me thirsty for more silver!!!!Tongue '

I do have two DD coils for it. The 6×10 and 5"Detech.
Well there is such a thing as ground that is too wet. I've discovered that myself. Sometimes the signals are so overlapped in wet ground that I give up. Turning the sensitivity down helps but not in what we have, which is mostly saturated clay 2 to 4 inches down. Sometimes you can't even PP with the detector, unless it's in the topsoil. I go back when the ground has lost some moisture and that helps a good deal. And I've dug some real keepers when I thought I was going to have to get a backhoe to get down 6 inches. I've been to Pittsburgh on business years ago, but never dug the ground. What's that ground like down there? Rocky and iron infested I'd imagine.
Yep it's rocky. Hot rocky. There are even different types of hot rocks right next to each other sometimes. My next machine just might be a PI. The iron is pretty high too. Yes the ground is better when dry, but then so hard to dig. The ground wasn't too wet yesterday. If I could go back I would have used the 6×10 DD coil, but I wanted to give the hoola hoop a shot.
To quote a phrase, "Been there, done that." Know how you feel. Wish sometimes I wouldn't have had to go through all the HOOPS to get where I am. That T2 was in second place for my choices, and the G2, GB Pro were 3rd and 4th. Here and now, make it work.
Im glad you got a break in all the crappy weather! I bet you get some nice gold this year, you dig it all,which is good. Ray
Cabin fever over!!!!!!
Glad to see you finally got out--and not too bad anyway!!
Pgh area is notorious for hot rocks--had the same problem then too!!
GL+HH
(04-02-2014 07:50 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]No foolin.  I got out to my favorite spot.  Took the M6 with the 950 coil and Sunray probe.  My thoughts about the big round coil were right.  It just couldn't punch through the ground here.  Good solid tones were hard to find.  I didn't even get alot of pulltabs.  The deepest I dug was a big pulltab at 7".  The deepest coin was a wheatie at 5"and it sounded bad.  I thought for sure I was chasing a false hot rock signal, but after I pulled the plug and rescanned the whole it was a solid coin hit.  I'm done with big concentric coils.  I did find two wheaties, a chewed up round ball, some more lead, a souvenir flattened penny, and one of each clad coins.  My wheat to clad ratio is amazing so far this year, but still no silver.  I think my next hunt will be with T2 and big DD coil.  Maybe I'll get a little deeper with that one.  I love the T2.  Might have an M6 with Sunray probe for sale soon.

Hey, Will, not too bad of a hunt. I didn't do so hot, myself. Pulled a 1901 Indian & about 7 wheats yesterday, but, the silver was hiding pretty good. What are ya gonna do, it happens. BTW...

You never gave your review of the Sun Ray. Like? Dislike? Just a tip...

I wouldn't get rid of that M6 just yet. They are DAMN good machines. Are they AS good as the T2's? Again, a lot has to do with the dirt where one lives, however, in general, I'd say no. For problem soil, there's really only a handful of detectors that have a track record of punching through well: the Minelab's, due to the multiple frequencies, and either the F75 or T2's, which are pretty much the too dogs when it comes to single frequency units. However...

Not every detector is good at every spot for every application. Which is why you may want to reconsider selling the M6. Again...

I agree that the T2 should work better for you as your primary hunting unit, but, always good to have other options Happy

Joe
Hey Joe. I'm not set on selling the M6 just yet. I am thinking about it though. It is a real good detector no doubt. The thing is that it is so close to the T2 that I don't know if I would get any advantage with it the way I hunt. These two are very close in frequency and in simplicity of use. I really like the simplicity of them. I mean the M6 is like a turn on and go beginners machine on steroids. It's great, but having two similar machines instead of two different ones could defeat the purpose of having two. As far as the probe. I don't know yet. Need more time with it.
Reference URL's