Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: VA Relic Hunt !
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I attended a Archaeological/Metal Detecting event at Montpelier (James Madison's Home) and afterwards headed to a buddies place in Richmond area. I had a couple buddies (Jayson and Val) with me and this was their first Civil War relic hunt trip.

We poked around an area I had hunted many times in the past and they both got some first Civil War bullets. But we decided to knock on some doors and got permission on a site I had hunted only once back in 1999.

The site had been hunted hard over the years and it has given up some great relics to the guys that got on there in the 80's and 90's. But I felt there still may be a few bullets or something left. Well, the condition were great. The ground was pretty moist and our machines were punching deep that day. We started finding quit a few bullets at 8-15" We were amazed at the depth we were getting. Bullets just kept popping up.

About 3 hours in, I get another deep bullet target and start digging. At 15" I could not hear anything with my probe so I called Jayson and Val over stating "Got one too deep to be a bullet" I had Jayson give a listen with his X1 probe on his Explorer. He says "Don't hear it" I took one more scoop out and then he said he heard it. I told him "Go ahead and dig it out" I had high hopes at this depth.

He pops it out and HOLY CRAP I got pretty excited!! BREAST PLATE at 18+ inches. Cool thing is that we got it all on video. I was pretty jazzed. It’s pretty rough but I'll take it!

[attachment=1609]

About 30 minutes later and about 10 feet away. I get another deep bullet signal and once again down 15" I call the boys over stating "got one too deep to be a bullet" We gather around and I dig this one out this time. I see the edge in the bottom at about 18". HOLY CRAP another plate--This time a US Buckle. I could not believe it!! Again, it is a bit crumbly, but She will look good in the future!!

[attachment=1610]

I told Jayson and Val, "well we got two of the three. The box plate is here somewhere."
An hour later Val calls us over "Too deep to be a bullet" and he pulls out a very nice Box Plate!! He eventually found the keeper as well. We got the finial and the J-Hook and a sword hanger. I think we got the entire belt setup!!

Did I mention this was their first RELIC HUNT!! I told them they were spoiled and that many relic hunters have looked and never found a plate and Val gets one on his first trip. The neat thing is that we all got the thrill of digging one out of the ground that day. Except Jayson did not get to keep his!!  We got all three on video and I will put something together in the future.

All three of our saves that day

[attachment=1611]

MY take that day! I really like the carved bullet as well and I had popped this little VA Button out the day before!

[attachment=1612]

[attachment=1613]

Thanks for looking
Ron
Incredible, Ron!!!!!!!!!! Banner!!!!! Yes Happy

Joe
Fantastic Ron!! And Val n Jason are top notch hunters, not surprised they did so well. beautiful patinas!
killer finds, Congrats! I've hunted many times with jayson and his father val,very good detectorists and great guys.(thay are in a few of my vids) Sounds like you had a killer time. CONGRATS AGAIN!
Great job Ron! Unbelievable keepers. What were your thoughts outside of the swinging while you found those artifacts. I think we'd be interested to know. Just to gain a perspective from our end. You have to figure that the shot ratio, and it was supposed to have been 3 loaded and fired rounds per minute, but under stress, and taking fire, it could have been two, or valiantly, and tragically just one. To think that each of those rounds were held by that person's hands under those conditions. I shudder to be in that persons shoes under that kind of battle. Excellent finds and very, very good trip. I'm proud to see you engage in the educational and historical end as just a plain old detectorist at this end.
Super nice finds Ron. How did you like the Archaeological/Metal Detecting event at Montpelier (James Madison's Home) . A guy in the club I belong too talked about it at our meeting. Sound like a good thing to do ?
Thanks guys.

I will try to expand on my experience at Montpelier as time allows.

I will try to write something up and give a bit more detail and my impressions.
Awesome man!

Doesn't surprise me 'yall did so well either!
Add up all the years experience in the field of you guys and finds like those happen.
Happy
Wow, nice
Reference URL's