Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Silver # 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I guess silver is silver. Joe's Walking Half is a "killer" and a Merc to boot. Same deal with the weather here, shirt sleeves and nice! Went to a spot I found a bunch of Wheats at last year and decided to give it a go. Got the 44 Wheat in the first 20 minutes and the 35 Merc about a half hour later, real iffy signal, just a whiff of a tone but 5-28, 3-28, 4-28 and slammed by iron signals, in such a small spot I missed it with the plug by 1 inch. Surrounded by little finishing nails at about 3 or 4 inches deep. Hard to say exactly because the ground was so crumbly from the worms having a feast. Anyway, the girlfriend shows up with lunch and the dog and that killed the momentum. Nothing but clad and junk from that point on. Digging those soft signals is a plus.
[attachment=1637]
Ha! Hot dog, brother!!! I bet you're starting to LOVE that Minelab, eh? Lol. Congrats on the silver Yes Those "soft" signals you mentioned are where it's at...I live for those!!! The half today was a VERY rare surface surprise, as 99.99 percent of all our silver here is at least 6+ inches.

You're gonna have to change your screen name to Ohio Silver Killer, soon Beer

Joe
Thanks Joe! I'm starting to feel the machine wide open with ferrous but machine gun alley there so it's a very slow go. Almost like reaching down with your hand and feeling around. If I can keep the girlfriend and the dog visit lunches in check (so I won't starve to death, ya know) you may be right on the new moniker! Killer find yourself!
(04-12-2014 08:55 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Joe! I'm starting to feel the machine wide open with ferrous but machine gun alley there so it's a very slow go. Almost like reaching down with your hand and feeling around. If I can keep the girlfriend and the dog visit lunches in check (so I won't starve to death, ya know) you may be right on the new moniker! Killer find yourself!

If it's a SUPER trashy, machine gun type of spot, I'd recommend going discriminate, or kicking it up a bit higher. My personal opinion is, when it's like that, it's TOO damn much work. I feel like you'll also miss more than you'll find due to mental fatigue, so, best to silence most of the crap & pluck out some winners. When it's moderately trashy, or even better, virtually no trash...

Put that baby in all metal and kick some ass on ultra deep coins!!!

Joe
Some of the spots are Super Trashy as you say and that's my reference as well. I got some soft tone 1-29, 28 and others at 3-29, 4-29 that were a pixel line on the depth or NONE and dug and dug with no results but only down to about 2 or three inches into the clay. The topsoil was a good 6 to 8 inches in most spots and my Garrett PP was all the way in + with no result. Could they be deeper than that? Sometimes I would get a real soft 0-27, 28, 29 also with no result. Am I not digging down far enough? All this was at sense 16 to 24, manual. Maybe I need a bigger digger?
Dig deep...within reason. If you're down to say, 10, 11" and nothing is there, it's most probably very deep iron or junk. Or, it could've been hot rocks setting the detector off. I dig a TON of deep iron. Because I'm chasing those very deep, fringe targets...and deep iron can sound/appear like a deep, soft coin hit. Just keep playing around and doing what you're doing, cause it's working Yes You'll see though...

After 6 months to a year, once you've found some ultra deep coins, you're going to be chasing the faintest of faint signals. It's like a crack rock to an addict. Your heart starts racing when you find one of those. The sweet spot here for oldies (mercs, barbers, seateds, etc.) is in the 8-12" range. Any deeper than that is normally iron. When I hear a little blip, and check my depth gauge and there's only one little bar left on the gauge, there's no other feeling like it Happy

On deep targets, if the numbers stay within a tight range (mostly high, for example) it's normally a good target. If the numbers are bouncing wildly, it's normally junk. Of course, this isn't written in stone, but, it's a safe bet most of the time.

Joe
Nice job Ohio!  Love those Mercs.  That wheatie almost looks like steel, maybe it's just the pic? Either way, looks like you had a great day.
Congrats dude!

For super trashy sites the 6 inch excellerator coil is awesome!
(04-12-2014 11:25 PM)SLCdigger Wrote: [ -> ]Nice job Ohio!  Love those Mercs.  That wheatie almost looks like steel, maybe it's just the pic? Either way, looks like you had a great day.
Thanks SLC! I thought so too but it's not magnetic.

(04-13-2014 04:50 AM)micahmoore Wrote: [ -> ]Congrats dude!

For super trashy sites the 6 inch excellerator coil is awesome!

Micha, those two were with the 12x10 and about 2 hours later I switched to the 8x6. Both SEF.
Congrats on another silver. I still don't have one this year. When I get a hit that says deep coin I always assume it's a rock. I pop the plug and rescan the whole before I dig any deeper. If the signal disappears pinpoint over the plug and if it still reads a deep target in the shallow plug it's most likely a dag gone rock.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's