Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Bathing Beauties
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been experimenting with various ways to clean my clad chemically and after much trial and error have come up with a system that works to satisfy the bank.
I use a Wyler's crystal bullion jar for the quarters, dimes and nickles and a screw top plastic lunch snack jar like Ziplock just for pennies, although another Wyler's jar would work.

First I start with a solution of plain old hand soap and water and let them soak for a week. I do this in my bathroom so every time I'm in there I give them a shake and a refresh with soap and water if needed.

Second, after the first week, I rinse them all out in their separate jars and cover them with vinegar. I let them soak for another two days in that shaking about as the time goes.

Third, I rinse out the vinegar and then use a half water, half CLR mix in each and let them sit for a day. Again the shaking to mix it up a bit.

Fourth I take the brush you see in the photo and scrub each coin a bit with a bath of water in the sink. Don't forget the drain screen, it helps. I have pretty tough hands so I'd recommend rubber gloves for anyone wanting to try this.

As you see, you can't get it all off. My vibratory tumbler does not clean them as well as this method. And do not mix the copper coins with the steel clad or you'll have copper looking clad by the end of the process.

Now I don't do this to any of my silver or gold items. Just this junk clad I find. And keep the bath fan running with the CLR please!!!

Good luck and happy hunting!!
[attachment=1670]
MacGuyver style, Ohio...I love it!!! Now, can you make a hot air balloon out of a pair of roach clips, a pickle jar & 3 handkerchiefs? Tongue

I must say, according to the pics, the coins look like they just came from the mint!

Thanks for posting, methinks a lot of members are going to find this one useful Yes

Joe
Those turned out nice.  Thanks
Vibra tumblers stink for cleaning clad but a regular barrel tumbler will clean it fine for the bank in an hour or so.
(04-18-2014 05:19 PM)DetectorOCD Wrote: [ -> ]Vibra tumblers stink for cleaning clad but a regular barrel tumbler will clean it fine for the bank in an hour or so.

I found that out the hard way. My problem is I'm living in an apartment and both of them make too much noise. If I run it at work, that's okay. I think I'm going to just get the one from Harbor Freight and sell the vibratory to somebody that wants to polish brass for reloading. Although my method above works, it can be a real PIA sometimes.
Reference URL's