Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: How big is too big?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How big of a digger would you carry in a park?  With the new machine I have I need something a little bigger.  I don't want to make huge holes,  it's just real hard digging deep with a seven inch blade on a five inch handle.  I'm thinking about the Lesche Mini Sampson 18".  It's only about 6" bigger than what I'm using now, but on the other hand it is 6" longer than what I'm using now.
This is tough to answer, Will. As for myself, I exclusively use a lesche digger in parks. The only time I use anything bigger (and even then, rarely) is if I'm in the woods. You obviously know what you're doing, versus someone new that doesn't. So, leaving open craters isn't going to be an issue. I think the main problem is how it LOOKS. Let's face it, we're already under scrutiny. All it takes is just one 'mayor of the block' type that doesn't like the look of a shovel being used in 'his' park, and the next thing you know the coppers are there hounding you. To be honest...

In my most my parks, I really don't think I would ever get hassled using a shovel. The law & the parks guys wouldn't give two shits. However, again, it's just the appearance of a shovel that looks bad, IMO. And believe me, ask anyone that hunts with me...I dig HUGE holes sometimes. Of course, I always fill them back in after retrieving the target, but, I don't raise any red flags is what I'm trying to say.

If you can use one and get away with it, great. As for myself, I'm more comfortable blending in a tad more by using something a bit more covert.

Joe
You pretty much summed up my own thoughts.  I'm still thinkin about that 18" digger though.  Right now I use a Sunjoe hori hori. It's like a lesche, but it doesn't have the angle between the blade and handle.  It is a nice little coin digger .
(05-03-2014 08:26 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]You pretty much summed up my own thoughts.  I'm still thinkin about that 18" digger though.  Right now I use a Sunjoe hori hori. It's like a lesche, but it doesn't have the angle between the blade and handle.  It is a nice little coin digger .

Will, that's a nice garden trowel. The thing is sharp as blazes and cuts a clean hole. I get nervous about my little Ames, $12.95 Home Depot kids shovel, but I see other guys using Piranhas, and looking over there shoulder. Trick is what Joe says, leave the place like you found it and nobody will bitch. I use one of the Knox, Italy, Treasure diggers mostly all the time. I find that after targeting as best as I can, even if I go 14 inches down, it's a good break from swinging and targeting. Needless to say the shovels are fabulous for farm fields and such, but parks makes me real nervous here. Everyone is watching. I went out for three hours today with nothing but clad and a few wheats and found open holes where I had been yesterday. I covered them, and they were a square spade shovel three sided cut, but if I find the guy who must have been there this morning, I'm walking him through some ethics about the hobby. We have integrity and we have to keep it or we're going to get legislated out of the hobby. If you do no harm, no harm will come of it. Like I jokingly tell the Rangers, sometimes when they ask, "I'm aerating your lawn for free!".
I agree with Tom D that a bigger plug actually does less harm if done correctly but PR disagrees with both of us and the whole issue of digging tools revolves around public perception. There's no reason a guy can't dig 10 or 12" deep with a lesche or similar in normal park soil; it may just take a little more time , but the hobby will be better off for it just like filling the holes takes a little more time.
Sometimes I would like one of these!!! LOL But I use a lesche digger .[attachment=1816]
I use a Hungarian Model 1950 infantry trowel (shovel) and an Austrian Glock fighting-knife...I don't dig standing, but get on my knees!!!Sad
Reference URL's