Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Park finds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Long Island City is actually in the borough of Queens, of which I used to live/work in. Not to be confused with LONG ISLAND, of course, which, many people believe to be a separate entity in NY, however, in reality, LONG ISLAND is actually a part of Brooklyn, where I was born & raised.

Long Island City has always been mostly industrial/commercial, and a lower/lower middle class neighborhood (kinda gritty). It's still very industrial/commercial, however, the yuppies moving in have gentrified the neighborhood over the past 10 years. It's actually considered 'chic' now, lol.

LIC is home to the 59th street bridge, which is one of the connectors into Manhattan, and is home to Silver Cup Studios, one of the biggest movie/tv studios on the east coast (all of the Sopranos interior scenes were shot there).

Coty was a VERY popular makeup line at one time. I believe they're still around, however, their heyday was from the 40's to the 60's, I believe. I've found a lot of Cody stuff over the years - lipstick tubes, rouge cases, etc. Very cool pieces, especially the earlier ones Happy

Joe
That Long Island City sounds a lot like the Southside here in Pittsburgh.  Used to be all mills.  A dirty and poor neighborhood.  Now there are still some lower class there, but also a lot of money there.  Even pro sports players live there.  I work dahn air n'at.
Whoops!! Queens then, it's been such a long time ago. (82-83) Did work there for about three weeks on a warehouse facade. Brooklyn was on my mind, though. Worked on a historic Carnegie or NYC Library there once. On Flushing Ave. and Queens Blvd.? Could be wrong, they had us working all over the place.
(06-05-2014 08:16 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Whoops!! Queens then, it's been such a long time ago. (82-83) Did work there for about three weeks on a warehouse facade. Brooklyn was on my mind, though. Worked on a historic Carnegie or NYC Library there once. On Flushing Ave. and Queens Blvd.? Could be wrong, they had us working all over the place.

Ed, you have a SUPERB memory! How the heck do you remember street names after all these years?! Queens Blvd. (in Queens) is pretty much the main drag that runs straight through most of the borough. Used to be a lot of drag races there back in the day, mostly the cugines (hoodlum Italian kids...of which I used to be one, lol) Tongue

Joe
(06-05-2014 08:28 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2014 08:16 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Whoops!! Queens then, it's been such a long time ago. (82-83) Did work there for about three weeks on a warehouse facade. Brooklyn was on my mind, though. Worked on a historic Carnegie or NYC Library there once. On Flushing Ave. and Queens Blvd.? Could be wrong, they had us working all over the place.

Ed, you have a SUPERB memory! How the heck do you remember street names after all these years?! Queens Blvd. (in Queens) is pretty much the main drag that runs straight through most of the borough. Used to be a lot of drag races there back in the day, mostly the cugines (hoodlum Italian kids...of which I used to be one, lol) Tongue

Joe
Joe,

That's funny!! &

Well SUPERB is a little bit much, but a very good compliment. I remember because if you didn't, you'd get so effing lost you'd never make it to work. Remember maps? Now I got somebody with some chick's name telling me where to go in my right earbud. Oy, what a difference a day makes!

The Flushing Ave., Queens Blvd. library reference was quite memorable because after I sent the Company truck packing from ending the job on a Friday afternoon, my flipping car wouldn't start because somebody "stole" the battery. So, being the entrepreneur that I am, I handed out 4 $5 bills to the "Girls" on the corner and they push started my little 5 speed Dodge Omni down Flushing Ave. with a wave and a kiss in the rearview and I got back to PA okay. That's how I remember NYC.

And "A Bronx Tale" is one of my favorite movies, btw. Those were the days!

Ed
(06-05-2014 08:56 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2014 08:28 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]

Joe
Joe,

That's funny!! &

Well SUPERB is a little bit much, but a very good compliment. I remember because if you didn't, you'd get so effing lost you'd never make it to work. Remember maps? Now I got somebody with some chick's name telling me where to go in my right earbud. Oy, what a difference a day makes!

The Flushing Ave., Queens Blvd. library reference was quite memorable because after I sent the Company truck packing from ending the job on a Friday afternoon, my flipping car wouldn't start because somebody "stole" the battery. So, being the entrepreneur that I am, I handed out 4 $5 bills to the "Girls" on the corner and they push started my little 5 speed Dodge Omni down Flushing Ave. with a wave and a kiss in the rearview and I got back to PA okay. That's how I remember NYC.

And "A Bronx Tale" is one of my favorite movies, btw. Those were the days!

Ed

That was YOUR car, Ed?!?! Geez, I'm truly sorry about that Tongue

Aaahhhh, "A Bronx Tale" Happy One of my faves, too. I was an actor when I was younger, and tried out for that flick. Didn't make the cut, but, I knew a few of the people in it. True story...

I was working for a talent manager in the mid 90's, who later wound up managing me, but, before that, I helped her send out actors pictures, call clients, etc...the grunt work. Anywho, she also used to send me on all types of errands for her lunch, to buy her Melba toast, all types of wacky shit. She sends me out one day, and I left the office (which she ran out of her apartment on the upper east side), walk a few blocks north, and on or about E. 63rd st, I see a real tall good looking guy step out of a chauffeured towncar with a striking blonde. Lo & behold, it's Chazz Palmienteri!!! I approach him (which I very rarely do with celebrities) as he was walking into his apartment building. We chatted for a few minutes, and gods to honest truth, don't think I ever met a nicer guy. He even gave me his assistants name & told me to send him an 8X10, that he might be able to hook me up with a part, but, I never got around to doing it.

My favorite scenes are:

Bikers getting a beat down in the bar
Putting Eddie Mush in the bathroom while they're playing craps cause he was bad luck
When he teaches C about the door test

Joe
Being an Eddie in my younger days, that scene always kills, me. But I like DeNero, trying to be a father, in all the muck. Nice that you met Chaz. He originated that tale.

I never thought about acting until these past few years. But now that I think about it, you have to be one heck of a professional. Do your own research, constantly network with contacts, be able to swing your moods under control and with personal dignity. Real actors, some contemporary and some from the 40's and 50's, were real pros. Bogart, Tracy, Peck, etc... Some today as well. Tough, demanding lifestyle, regardless of the reward.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's