Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: MD'ing TV shows.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,
What's you're take on the following....did it help or hurt the hobby when shows
like "Savage Family Diggers", "Diggers" "Diggers Dig Wars", were the rage up
until awhile ago,now it seems they've all gone off. Just asking,that's all.
Thanks,
RJThink
I didnt watch them too much, usually out detecting and missed them.
i dont think they hurt the hobby in any way. if anything may have sparked new interest in many people who  did not really know the hobby.
the only negative as always, is from the Archaeology societies and the groups like that who see all metal detecting as a threat. but here its against the law to dig in some spots even without a metal detector. so if they had there way your children would not be able to dig on the beach. so other than those already negative groups, i think the show was kinda enjoyable, i can watch people digging relics all day and enjoy it ...
This question has been done to death. 10 guys will tell you they hate them, and another 10 guys will say there's nothing wrong with them. As with so many other things in this hobby (and life), it all comes down to personal preference. Honestly...

In a perfect world, IMO, there would've never been a detecting show on tv. However, that ship has already sailed, so, nothing we can do to change it, you can't unring a bell. This was once a niche hobby. A small fraternity of 'weirdos' going out and looking for spare change on the beach. While the latter couldn't be further from the truth, the general public simply didn't give what we did any thought, we were just ships passing in the night if someone saw us. Now these shows comes along...

It shines a bright light on our activities. It ups the competition factor. It promotes the false promise of instant riches. It brings people into the hobby that don't know the proper protocols & digging techniques, thereby leading to banned detecting areas. Need I go on? As with everything in this world...

Not all is black & white. Meaning, I've seen SOME good come from these programs. Just one example is; I can't tell you how many times people have approached me over the past two years, saying they watch Diggers, Dig Wars, etc. Suddenly, we're legitimized. In fashion. Hip. Dare I say, even cool. More importantly, I see it as a way of opening the doors of communication, bridging the gap between who we are and what we do with the general public. This can lead to access to hunting private properties, new friendships forged, etc. So, again, these shows aren't ALL bad, but...

I still think our hobby would've been better off in the long run had they never saw the light of day Yes

Joe
The only show I watch is California Relic Adventures.
I have to say that the Savage shows are terrible and ridiculous.  BOOM BABY.  I thought that show was interesting before I started detecting.  Then I realized how dumb and bad it was.  I can't believe Whites even lets them use their detectors.  Other than that I do watch the shows.  Are they good or bad for the hobby?  I don't know, but I find them entertaining.  My little one likes watching Diggers too, because they are goofy and they find some awesome stuff.
As far as them being the "rage up until awhile ago" I am not sure the hype has dropped off all that much, I will tell you I posted a comment on one of the Natgeo Diggers Blog pages a few months ago with a link back to my site, and I still get ppl coming to my site from that link everyday, and I know its probably buried pretty deep  by now, so I am sure there is a ton of interest taking people to the National Geographic site. And I will tell you, looking at the stats from the folks coming from there, they are a captive audience, the spend some time and hit several pages they are interested in detecting!  That leads me to believe that some of them are going out and buying detectors.  I would also bet many will not stick with it when they see its not such a walk in the park, after they dig a pocket full of pull tab, mowed pieces of cans and rusty nails, with out finding that Civil War sword or Seated Liberty they were expecting to see on there first day out they will be done. Then in a several months... maybe a year from now we will start seeing a lot of these "like new" detectors hitting the used market as they clean out closets and garages.
(07-20-2014 07:56 PM)Slowdown Wrote: [ -> ]As far as them being the "rage up until awhile ago" I am not sure the hype has dropped off all that much, I will tell you I posted a comment on one of the Natgeo Diggers Blog pages a few months ago with a link back to my site, and I still get ppl coming to my site from that link everyday, and I know its probably buried pretty deep  by now, so I am sure there is a ton of interest taking people to the National Geographic site. And I will tell you, looking at the stats from the folks coming from there, they are a captive audience, the spend some time and hit several pages they are interested in detecting!  That leads me to believe that some of them are going out and buying detectors.  I would also bet many will not stick with it when they see its not such a walk in the park, after they dig a pocket full of pull tab, mowed pieces of cans and rusty nails, with out finding that Civil War sword or Seated Liberty they were expecting to see on there first day out they will be done. Then in a several months... maybe a year from now we will start seeing a lot of these "like new" detectors hitting the used market as they clean out closets and garages.

just picked up a " like new "  Etrac for less than half price, the guy bought it 2 years ago, he said he has found nothing but trash and cans. doubt he made it out his back yard with it.  some of the people who went out in a rush due to the shows to make a detector purchase, went all out. in the end, it leaves some great future deals for the rest of us ...
(07-20-2014 06:32 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]The only show I watch is California Relic Adventures.

LOL  Thanks for the plug Ray!!  We can act a bit goofy but at least it is 100% real!
Dude,you and Mark behave just like I do....well would,if I found a huge nugget,lol. Seriously,your videos are great!!
Reference URL's