Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Find of a Life Time/1626 Hammered Duit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Bronx is rich with history from as far back as Colonial Times  Cool and if not earlier in certain sections. The island of Manhattan was bought with a few trinkets, blankets, and other goods in 1626.

While I was hunting a Lagoon near where I live, while hunting this area there was a lot of iron, but came upon an area of about 10'X15' which was undisturbed and received one of the nicest signals since I have been treasure hunting, a steady 1240 on my E-Trac at about 10". I kept digging and the signal became even nicer as the soil came out. When the small copper coin came to light, I can see the date from where I was standing, it was that clear and I still had to rub my eyes.

The amazing experience came when I picked the coin up and held it in my hand and notice the date... It was like I was taken back in time to when their was no modern signs around me of walls, buildings, or roads. I also reported the find to the Parks Dept. & Historical Society, and the Parks Dept didn't claim the coin, and the Hoistorical Soc. shrug me off as if the coin had no signifficent Historical Value, so she's mine, all mine as Daffy would say. HH and enjoy...

The Ghost
Philo
Incredible find!!
Wow !!! awesome find. and in sweet condition to ...
Very Cool--When did you find this?
(08-06-2014 11:02 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Very Cool--When did you find this?

Last September 2013...
Wow man that is amazing.
Phil, I think I'd be shitting turds the size of cannon balls if I found that beauty!!! A lot of people don't understand the rich history that is under our feet in the NY/NJ area. Sadly, most of it is paved over, though Sad Do you remember years ago when they dug up lower Manhattan, and found all kinds of colonial coppers, reals, etc.? We're blessed & cursed at the same time.

That is truly a once in a lifetime type of find, my friend. Then again, knowing you, maybe I shouldn't say that Yes

Joe
Phil,

All I can say is AWESOME! To think you found that in the Bronx is simply amazing. You and Bones are now members of the same club! The 1600's coin club. We can't even find NAILS that old around here! Congratulations on a great find!

Ed

In the Bronx, NY... In one of my favorite Parks... Dug at 8 to 10 inches...

The Ghost
(08-08-2014 01:20 PM)eastharlemghost Wrote: [ -> ]

In the Bronx, NY... In one of my favorite Parks... Dug at 8 to 10 inches...

The Ghost

Hey Ghost, how long did it take for the big cheesy grin to go away after digging that beauty, been three days on my worn out old coin and i still can`t stop smiling when i look at it. ... is that the oldest coin you have recovered . that`s one sweet find ... you guy`s have some nice old colonial history buried up there,  i live close to the Florida property of Governor Grant also Major General of several regiments during colonial times he fought several battles in your area such as .
Battle of Bunker Hill, New York Campaign, Battle of Brooklyn, Battle of White plains, Battle of Long Island, Battle of Brandywine creek, Battle of Barren Hill .  
you guys have some beautiful detecting sites up your way with a lot of old colonial and civil war era history i bet you all make some amazing finds  ...

Bones ...
Reference URL's