Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Whoa
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(08-11-2014 09:35 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]I got the bug following my dad around in the mid 70`s between England, Spain and Italy watching him pull up some unbelievable old relics and coins.
I am on the ukdfd.co.uk the British metal detecting site, the stuff those guys pull up is amazing. they pull 2500 year old stuff and talk about it like its a wheat cent.
growing up in Italy we used to climb all over lost ruins in the mountains and play while the dad detected the hell out of them . i would do anything to go back over and see what he missed for me .... guess i`ll have to settle for this more modern colonial era stuff for now ... 

B.O.N.E.S.    Born On Native English Soil ...

Well, your colonial stuff beats mine by a mile! It's all relative though, is my point. I'm freakin thrilled digging a 150 year old large cent. Imagine digging up a Viking era gold coin?! I saw a guy on YouTube find an old chalice that was about 1,200 years old!!! America is like a baby compared to other countries, in terms of age. That's why all of the top dog detectorists go over to England & other places now. Not only is it harder to find stuff here due to virtually everywhere being hunted to death, but, even when one does find something, it just can't compare with the stuff over there.

Joe
hell yeah Joe! Great find bud,gotta love undigging history like that!
(08-11-2014 09:44 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-11-2014 09:35 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]I got the bug following my dad around in the mid 70`s between England, Spain and Italy watching him pull up some unbelievable old relics and coins.
I am on the ukdfd.co.uk the British metal detecting site, the stuff those guys pull up is amazing. they pull 2500 year old stuff and talk about it like its a wheat cent.
growing up in Italy we used to climb all over lost ruins in the mountains and play while the dad detected the hell out of them . i would do anything to go back over and see what he missed for me .... guess i`ll have to settle for this more modern colonial era stuff for now ... 

B.O.N.E.S.    Born On Native English Soil ...

Well, your colonial stuff beats mine by a mile! It's all relative though, is my point. I'm freakin thrilled digging a 150 year old large cent. Imagine digging up a Viking era gold coin?! I saw a guy on YouTube find an old chalice that was about 1,200 years old!!! America is like a baby compared to other countries, in terms of age. That's why all of the top dog detectorists go over to England & other places now. Not only is it harder to find stuff here due to virtually everywhere being hunted to death, but, even when one does find something, it just can't compare with the stuff over there.

Joe

I wouldn`t say my colonial stuff beats anyones finds on here, i see a ton of amazing finds from all the members here, hell i would do anything to dig the silver you and the other guys dig. and then you have the monster gold nugs that Mr Ron and those guys are digging. sheeesh. i couldnt imagine digging something that sweet. and all the civil war relics i see here, WOW ... i have been lucky to land a good spot and find a few good finds between all the junk.  but you guys amaze me with the stuff you dig and post. i knock no ones digs. hell i dig a wheat and get excited. remember im the iron man i dig iron galore and love it   ... every now and then the dirt throws me up a treat for cleaning out all the garbage ... 
Honestly you guys blow my mind ...  
Super great find Joe Yes
WOW-- Very cool button  (1850-65)  

That is a very nice NY militia button!!
Killer button Joe,I love it. Congrats!
(08-11-2014 06:55 PM)SLCdigger Wrote: [ -> ]Joe!  That's awesome!  Scovill was one of the largest manufacturers of brass buttons.  Waterbury, CT is where they were based.  Yours may say Scovill MFG or Scovills & Co or even Scovills MFG, but the Waterbury is where they were located. 
They used 'Scovill' and Scovills'. 
Sweet frickin' button!!!!!

Does anyone know how to date the waterbury buttons by backmark.
i have one that reads : Waterbury Co`s inc. Conn
with a very fancy "A" on the front, i assume Artillery ...
but it is so darn clean it looks like it was made yesterday ...
i have seen many variations like Joe`s and others.
where they altered by date .
Waterbury Co's is Post 1965.  Could be a reenactors button.
thank you for the info .

Mr Joe, did you ever get info on that awesome button. i would love to know the history behind the 71st , i did a little looking into them, but not sure if i had the right group. i was way off the first shot   Doh... 
very interested in there history and activities during the civil war.
Sweet Button!!!
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's