Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Good Read
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just read a neat article. This chick who's a magazine writer decided to try her hand at metal detecting. Pretty funny. Also telling. I suspect this is how the story goes for maybe 90% of folks that enter this hobby. You know all those silly misconceptions people have about us, and this past time? Well, as you'll read, they don't seem to be disappearing, lol.

Would love to know what retailer they bought their detector from. The salesman must be trying to scare away the competition!

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_p...acket.html

Joe
sounded like a cheap attempt to mock the hobby to be honest.. 
And i bet that sales man don`t make many detector sales.
(08-28-2014 07:25 AM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]sounded like a cheap attempt to mock the hobby to be honest.. 
And i bet that sales man don`t make many detector sales.

Absolutely, Bones, still good for a chuckle though. Can you believe the guy on the phone?!

Civil war relics? No, don't worry, you won't be finding any. Matter of fact, you'll find pretty much nothing. And your daughter will hate this hobby.

Ha!

You know, as I said above, I'm pretty sure this is about the same store for MOST of the people entering this hobby. You have to love it. Not just do it hoping to strike the big one, as you'll almost surely be disappointed.

Joe
they say its like fishing, but,  i don`t know, i suck at fishing, all i ever caught was a buzz.   but you do have to enjoy the time spent and the thrill of the hunt as much as the reward of the find, or you will quickly get burnt out. 

and, a little research adds greatly to future successful hunting . 

... i still love fishing, i live on the water 40 feet from my back door is the river. lived here for years ... still have not caught one damn fish, there are reds as long as my arm out behind the house. flounder. all kinds of fish i don`t know what the hell they want.  i was sure they ate Vienna sausages .... guess not ... 

thank god my detecting is not like my fishing ...  

BONES ...
That's a good one.  It's true you either love it or hate it.
I almost stopped reading at solipsistic, but kept reading anyway even though she, the writer, doesn't exist.

It takes a special breed of man (or woman) to take on the challenges of metal detecting.

Although you can get 7 year olds interested in the hobby, you've got a lot more exciting competition working against you in a seven year olds mind. See, I'm not solipsistic.

It was a fun article to read in that she didn't give up until the end. She should have titled the piece "My 3 Weeks With A Metal Detector" and that would have pretty much explained it all.

And BONES! Vienna Sausage? It's dough balls laced with garlic.Yes Sheesh!

Ed
Bones I tryed fishing and have the same Luck. I have a friend who swears by deer meat as a bait.
this is definitely a love hate type of hobby.  you love to find things but hate it when you find nothing.
Reference URL's