Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: X's and O's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(08-30-2014 11:57 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]love the iron ...
be nice to see them after an Ebath .

Hey Bones.  How would you set up an e bath big enough for this stuff?  I have done it with small items before, but nothing this big.
(09-02-2014 12:34 AM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-30-2014 11:57 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]love the iron ...
be nice to see them after an Ebath .

Hey Bones.  How would you set up an e bath big enough for this stuff?  I have done it with small items before, but nothing this big.

I used a 56 qt plastic bin from the hardware store i got for 6 bucks.
took 4 - 8 inch pieces of rebar zip tied to the top corners .
ran the copper wire between them.
and for the centre connection i just used a piece of 2x4 across the top
long wise. across the bin
i ran a long wire the whole length of the 2x4 and hung smaller
wires anywhere along the board off the larger wire to hold the items.
i was able to dip several items at the same time.

Charger died last month so its dead at the moment. ...
[attachment=3060]
Cool set up.  You use a car battery charger?
(09-02-2014 01:15 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Cool set up.  You use a car battery charger?

yes, i use a car charger. negative hooked to the iron object.
positive hooked to the rebar.
fill to the top line about 4 inches below the top, add a few table spoons of
baking soda. and let it run. make sure that the wires going to your objects are making contact with some of the metal under the rust , as the rust will not allow it to make contact and work well. if you can get good contact, you should start to see it bubble right away and start pulling rust off. ...
Will, that is some big, deep iron you're digging up! And in this heat!!! Nice pieces Happy I find those hexagon thingeys too. Glad Ron ID'd them, as now I know what they are. I'm with Bones. Give those iron pieces an ebath so we can admire them in all their original beauty.

Joe
(09-02-2014 02:50 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Will, that is some big, deep iron you're digging up! And in this heat!!! Nice pieces Happy I find those hexagon thingeys too. Glad Ron ID'd them, as now I know what they are. I'm with Bones. Give those iron pieces an ebath so we can admire them in all their original beauty.

Joe

Yeah I was sweatin my nuts off last weekend.  The little shovel I got really helps though.  I need to get some supplies to make a big e like Bones's.
(09-02-2014 05:41 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-02-2014 02:50 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Will, that is some big, deep iron you're digging up! And in this heat!!! Nice pieces Happy I find those hexagon thingeys too. Glad Ron ID'd them, as now I know what they are. I'm with Bones. Give those iron pieces an ebath so we can admire them in all their original beauty.

Joe

Yeah I was sweatin my nuts off last weekend.  The little shovel I got really helps though.  I need to get some supplies to make a big e like Bones's.

here is another shot of the Ebath may be able to see the rods and copper wire set up a bit better.
[attachment=3083]
BONES!! Neat setup man! A very good conductive bath. I like the way you tied the rebar on the outside with the copper wire and then just hung hook like conductives through the 2x4 for the Anode (Cathode) side of the equation. British Ingenuity at work! With the right stuff you could chrome plate your Harley parts too!

Ed
Awesome ebath unit! Bet it can do a mean fried chicken, too! Tongue Rofl

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's