Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: My first Civ Relic.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I got permission to hunt an old foundation just off the old stagecoach line sw of  town.
I knew the Union had a outpost near there, and have not found that yet I'm but getting closer every hunt.
When I first saw its edge about 10 inches down, I thought oh a  door hinge. When I got it out, I still didn't have a clue except it was a buckle of sorts.
I got home and typed Civil War buckles in the search engine and the first thing to pop was a picture of what it was.
"Talk about being giddy"! I couldn't stop smiling.
The buckle is in great shape and the prongs still move freely up and down the post.
I've been back a couple of times and found several Bullets, mostly Williams Cleaners.
Super finds! That buckle is fantastic Yes You're blessed to be in such a history rich area. I'm sure we're going to be seeing a lot more of your awesome stuff. Welcome aboard!

Joe
Sweet finds.  Welcome aboard mate.
Very Cool

That is a great find.  I scored on a few weeks back and got giddy as well!! Happy.

Carbine Sling Buckle --Great find.  There could be additional parts in that area.  i.e: bat-wing portion (tip of belt) and part that attached to the gun.

Type 2 Williams "Cleaner"  -a good one!

Williams Cleaners are fun to find.  Quick bit on Cleaners

They were not intended to be "Cleaners" at all.  The invention was to produce a more accurate bullet and William accomplished that with his first and 2nd types. However it was also noted that the metal discs did clean the grooves of the riffles muskets.

Williams went on to make a 3rd Type.  You will often find a bunch in one area as the soldiers did not like to fire them because his 3rd bullet (the type 3) were later deemed sub par and to be used in emergency only.  So many soldier simply picked out the "cleaners" from their cartridge box and discarded them.

That is the watered down version. So the next time you find a "cleaners" imagine the Soldier looking at his cartridge box and  mumbling something  like  "Damn cheap ass Williams bullets, I'm not betting my life on this one" and then he tosses it on the ground where it sits until you find it 150 year later.

Pretty cool if you ask me!!

Great find!!
Welcome to the Forum.
and very nice finds, look out, once you start diggin the old stuff
everything else seems like a pop top. gets very addictive.
look forward to seeing more of those super relics and finds.

H.H ... BONES ...
Nice, I would have been giddy too.
Awesome finds!! And thanks Ron for the info!!
very nice buckle well done ....like that very much Yes
Reference URL's