Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Congrats Stevie B & Bones!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(09-22-2014 09:01 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-22-2014 08:54 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]PittsburghWill, Thank you very much for the comment, i would have to respectfully disagree with digger of the month, it does sound fun , and would be a great honor for any member, but we all know, it is all about location, i would be happy with luckiest guy of the month. i am lucky to have a great location to dig. but there are many other people who are out there digging every day, and working just as hard and making amazing finds . it would be difficult to decide who should own that title for the month as i don`t feel it should be based on gold or silver or age of finds, but on passion for the hobby, and in my opinion i would have a tough time picking a winner. we have many very passionate members who love this hobby.

I think everyone here is a winner ...

BONES ...

I actually like the idea, Bones, however, as I stated, it would have to be done fairly. Another thing is...

Again, just for example, you & Stevie with the gold coins. If there was an open thread where people were picking winners, and you could see their choices, I think that could be problematic. Imagine if Stevie saw Will go in & put in a vote for Bones. Sure, most people would take it in stride, however, that's MOST people, not all people.

Complicated.

Joe

I do like the idea, but don`t see how you would base the decision . to those members who are not in areas to find the " good stuff " it may be a bit upsetting. and if it was based on the quality of the find or age it would be one sided for many members. so in what other way would the choice be made. i think it would have to be done in a way where ALL members have a chance at the title for the month, no matter what they find . so how would it be able to be made fair for all. just trying to figure it out. it does sound fun. but there are so many factors that have to be looked at in order to make it fair . and as you said, both StevieB and myself pulled gold, who could win. and then you have many members pulling silver each month. all very nice and equal in my opinion. i don`t know how i could pick a winner.

as far as yourself and Mr Ed voting, in order to keep it from seeming one sided or set, i see the only way to make everyone feel it is fair in that respect is to remove yourselves from the vote ... to avoid any problems ... and have the voting done only by the normal members ...

BONES ...
well done lads ..both fantastic finds ...congrats YesYesYes
Congrats on making the banner. My question would be who decides which people gets nominated. Would it be best find. Then it would be who decides which items are best. It does sound like a good idea just gonna take some time to figure it out.I know I'm a person who post pic and replys to your post. But that's my two cents on the subject
I think voting would be a good idea if the particulars running the site would bow out of the vote. A thread heading where Voting would be tallied would entail a count, anonymously, of one vote, and one only, cast by each member. To some extent, we do this with banner for the best and most unusual finds.

But membership voting in a such a way as this tells the "winner" of the vote that his or her find was accepted by the membership for a total number. The addition of a ranking, which we already do somewhat by rating a post, in the rating column, and which is not well used by the membership, is an attempt to show approval of the post and the find, by the members. And lately, I've been rating them in appreciation for the post.

If, however, we add a first, second and third place, with special mention of the remaining, we would be more fair in the voting process and everyone with a good find would get some honor, to some degree.

This is a tough scenario no matter how you cut it. TPTB have to make a set of decisions that are acceptable to the majority of posters and to the minority that pop in and out from time to time. A universal policy for such a monthly "contest", as it would be, must be implemented and understood by the membership, before such would begin. That way everyone is on the same page and everyone gets a shot at the monthly #1!

Respectfully submitted,

Ed
I think my simple suggestion has become way too complicated.
(09-25-2014 10:43 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]I think my simple suggestion has become way too complicated.

Will,

Nawhh!! It's just site oogley boogley crap! One way or another it will be done or canned.

Ed
(09-25-2014 10:43 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]I think my simple suggestion has become way too complicated.

i do agree, i tried to think about it for a little bit till the brain hurt ... then went blank .
i completely forgot about the post rating stars for posts, i will start using that feature more often, there is also the new like button feature to each post,and i like that new feature as well, but hell i like everyone`s finds. so can i get a " I like everything " button ... i am fine with whatever TC decides to do.and think all the ideas are interesting and doable ...
Thanks for the banner placing and all the comments. Re: a competition, there is one run on DE on a monthly basis, take a look. There is a moving banner near to the top containing those who have entered. At the moment my coin is leading 12 to 8 the 8 being a Roman plate brooch. It's a friendly comp with no prizes but on winning your user name turns to gold, well more of a yellow, for a month. You are allowed one vote and yes you can vote for yourself. It's the coin or the artefact that is voted for not the person. Hope this helps.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's