Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Junk/Iron Day Idea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
"Another reason I think this is a nice idea is, we ALL dig junk. Be nice to show the newer guys how much work goes into finding just a few treasures. An ongoing thread would accomplish this. 

Joe"
Yeah I was thinking the same thing.  Show how much work it takes.  We dig alot of junk.  You don't see that on tv and YouTube.
I think that's a good idea , Any junk you never know when we can identify something good someone might throw.
My junk gets sorted into 5 gallon pails for scraping they buy anything even the shot gun shells and bullet casings.
It all adds up I keep anything that is questionable
I think it's a good idea. Just posting the greatest finds of the day is spectacular, but, not showing what we had to dig to get there skews the reality of the hobby. Why I dig so many crushed beer cans that if I ever got pulled over by Barney he could get me for open container!

But seriously, I think it balances the reality. And there is a lot of stuff that may seem unremarkable that could be something worth investigating. So my vote is "Just do it!"

Ed
(10-04-2014 07:50 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's a good idea. Just posting the greatest finds of the day is spectacular, but, not showing what we had to dig to get there skews the reality of the hobby. Why I dig so many crushed beer cans that if I ever got pulled over by Barney he could get me for open container!

But seriously, I think it balances the reality. And there is a lot of stuff that may seem unremarkable that could be something worth investigating. So my vote is "Just do it!"

Ed

Again, Ed, my reasoning is twofold...

First, as you say, a LOT of what we see is skewed reality. I'll use myself here as an example. When I found those 5 silvers the other day, what I DIDN'T show, what you all DIDN'T see was the literal pouch full of junk it took me to find those keepers. Giant hunks of disfigured metal blobs, bottle caps, pull tabs, rivets, flint wheels off of lighters, the metal eraser parts of pencils, etc. Junk. Now, I think it's common sense that many of us know we all find a lot of junk, however, be nice to show it. Obviously, it's tough to do via video, since I don't think a lot of folks want to sit through a 25 minute Gone with the Wind style epic video of me digging a Corona cap. However, a couple of quick photos thrown into an ongoing thread speaks volumes. It also gives people the option of seeing the junk if they'd like, or not.

Additionally, I do find a lot of the odd stuff we find interesting, as I'm sure others do. So, this would provide a nice outlet for us. Finally...

As we grow, and we get more folks newer to the hobby in our community, I think them seeing that we are indeed mere mortals, as opposed to guys just going out and pulling gold, silver & relics effortlessly at will, is helpful. But...

I'm not everybody. Only one man. Opinions are like noses, everyone has one & they're all different.

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's