Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Anyone have T2 tips?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just bought a T2 and should have it soon. If anyone has any tips on using it please let me know. Thanks
(07-10-2013 07:37 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]I just bought a T2 and should have it soon.  If anyone has any tips on using it please let me know.  Thanks

Congrats on the new detector! I ran with an F75, which is basically the same exact machine, except for a few subtle differences Wink

The T2 is a GREAT unit!!! Hits hard on coins, relics, jewelry, etc...although it's a tiny bit (by a hair) geared more towards relics versus the F75 (which is geared a bit more for coins).

Be forewarned, it is a LOT of detector...especially if you're newer to the hobby, however, don't let that bother you. Just do this...

Read the manual a good 7 or 8 times from cover to cover. Try to retain as much info as possible. Then...

Take the unit into the field, and start off in one of the stock programs like 'Coins'. Then, set your sensitivity. Careful, the T2 (just like the F75) is SUPER sensitive, so, don't max out the sensitivity to learn the unit. Even a sensitivity setting of 50% to 75% of max capability will be MORE than enough to find deep stuff Wink Also...

Keep in mind that the T2 can be a 'chatty' unit due to EMI (nearby electrical sources). So, if you hear an excessive amount of random beeping, bopping & ticking, drop back on the sensitivity a bit until it quiets down.

It's a lightening fast unit! Swing SLOOOW!!! You really want to hear & investigate each and every signal...especially if you're in a trashy area. Go too fast and there will be so many signals you'll sound as if you're stuck inside a pinball machine, trust me, lol.

Try and start off in two tone mode. It's not the best mode for a lot of applications, but, it's the easiest to learn.

The VDI screen can be erratic - due to how sensitive the unit is. So, don't expect a signal to lock on to one number exclusively. You're looking for RANGES. If the number bounces but it's mostly high, dig it, as this means a coin is there. Again, ranges or a loose group number is what you're looking for. The T2's don't hit on a coin (dime for example) and consistently signal 85 on each and every swing. It varies.

That should be enough to get you started. Again, above all, start in a stock program, set the sensitivity at a reasonable level, swing slow, dig mostly everything to learn the sounds/VDI numbers & most importantly...have fun & don't get frustrated Happy

Joe
Thanks Joe. That is useful info. What you say about the vid reminds me of my F2. I have found that deeper coins give bouncy signals on it too. If you run the T2 in all metal do you get the same tones and ID as in disc mode? I've come to like using all metal to see everything that is in the ground. I know the T2 goes deep. That's why I want it. The deepest I have dug a coin so far is about seven inches. They were pennies. I'm thinking there has to be silver around but probably just a little deeper since silver is heavier than copper. I can't wait to try it in my own backyard. I have found my oldest coins there. Two Indian head pennies 1889 and 1895. I found the 1889 with a Tesoro Lobo Super Traq and the 1895 with the F2 with the DD coil. My third oldest coin is a 1901 V nickel I found at the local park with my five year olds Bounty Hunter Jr that he got for his birthday last year. It was the first time we took that tiny detector to the park. I was hooked on detecting by a kids "toy" detector.
Sounds like you're knocking'm dead so far Yes Yes, any detector is going to get the most depth in all metal mode. It also allows you to hear everything in the ground...the good, the bad & the ugly. But...

Running all metal can also drive you nuts, depending how trashy a place is...especially using a T2 cause its so quick. That machine can process signals faster than your mind can comprehend. So, if you can handle all metal, 100% do it, if the 'noise' becomes too much, just switch to a disc mode and slow way down Wink

One thing I know for sure, it's a great unit! Make the best of it...and don't forget to post your finds Happy

Joe
I was just reading over this old post. I have used the T2 for awhile now. You were very right Joe. The VDI numbers do tend to bounce a little, but if they aren't jumping all over the place then you have to dig. I really like using disc mode with 2 tones disc setting very low like 4 and the sensitivity just below where it gets real chatty. Swinging slow and low is the way to go. Super fast machine. It doesn't have factory settings though(like coins). It is very easy to set up though. I'm a going to try to use the all metal mode more this year and see if I can get to like it. I really like the 2 tones with a low grunt for iron and a nice smooth tone for good targets. Too many tones drives me nuts. When I ran the F2 I was used to all the tones because you can't change the amount of tones on that machine. The ability to change the amount of tones is a great feature. I really liked the F2 and I really love the T2.
Glad you're taming the beast, Will Wink I ALWAYS recommend people run in all metal...if possible. I haven't taken my Safari out of all metal since shortly after purchasing it. Noisy? Oh yeah! But it allows me to hear everything in the ground, the good, the bad & the ugly. More importantly, it doesn't null. Finally, I'm able to get every last ounce of depth possible out of the unit. Of course...

I'm not hunting in extremely trashy spots, or places blanketed with iron. I would NEVER be able to run my unit there, as I'd go nuts in about 5 minutes. Rather, most of my spots are low to medium trash density. So, I simply slow down and listen for the deep high tones. If your spots are similar (not too trashy), I think running in all metal would be a tremendous benefit. Even if you squeezed an extra inch of depth from the T2, that would open up an entirely new finds window Yes You'd then pick-up those fringe targets that were juuuuuust out of reach in discrim mode, which could be MANY.

The good news is, the T2/F75 platform is considered 'King of the Heap' when it comes to hunting in iron/trash, especially with a small coin. The processor speed on the units can operate signals faster than your brain can process. So, you should 
have no problems whatsoever Happy

Joe
Reference URL's