Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: how did you get into detecting???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know this is a common question on other forums, but I find it interesting.
Here's my story...when I was 12 or so back in1977, me and some friends where playing football in a yard in Ft.Riley Kansas. This soldier came by detecting the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street. Of course we started following him, and I could not believe all the old coins he was pulling up! I remember some indian heads and mercs for sure. That was it, I had to have one. I mowed enough lawns untill I saved up $60 and bought the entry-level Whites. It had no disc. I hit some of those same strips, and soon discovered just how much trash is in the ground! So I changed tactics, and started detecting in the woods near home...and remember finding some "civil war"bullets as we called them. About the same time , my friends and I found an old bottle dump, and I would check our dirt and find a few old buttons and such. Well I left that detector on my front porch one day, and someone stole it. I was bummed, but vowed to get another. Well it only took me 23 years, lol. Ray
Ray, I have seen these post in the past but this is the first response.

I have a long winded version and short version. --.let's start with the short version.

I had an uncle who was a treasure hunter and bottle digger.
I dug some bottles in the 70's
Got a Radio Shack detector in 70's
Took time off
Moved to VA in 1997 and a buddy got me back into it.

Hooked since.

long version is more of an article!! Happy
I had a cheapo radio shack detector as a kid, but, honestly, didn't use it all that much. However, I've always been highly inquisitive by nature, as well as having a gamblers mentality, coupled with a thirst for adventure...which all equals up to making a damn good seed of a detectorist, IMO.

I was always digging holes trying to get to China when I was a young buck, loved shoveling dirt & looking for bugs, coins, etc. Typical weird kid stuff. As I got older, and gained more responsibilities in life, all of that brimming enthusiasm seemed to get lost...as it does for a lot of folks with 'real life' needs to be met. Cut to...

About the year 2000 or so, I was watching the boob tube and a Whites commercial came on. I clearly remember being enthralled. That sense of adventure practically shook me by the lapels, and I said; 'I'm getting one of those!'. Couple days later, I went to a local hobby shop/Whites dealer and bought a used Spectrum the owner had. Great machine, but didn't know what the hell I was doing for about the first 4 or 5 months or so Tongue I remember getting overload signals - which I almost always walk right by now, unless I'm at a VERY old spot - and thinking; 'Oh my god, it's probably a cache of coins or gold. Of course, upon digging the item up, it was a license plate or beer can, lol. But...

That was it, hooked for life. The needle went in & I never want it to come out again. It took me about a whole year before I found my first silver (a merc), but DAMN, was that a fun year! I was ALWAYS hanging on the Whites forum, B.S.'ing, learning...anything to do with detecting. DaFox helped me immensely on that forum Yes

In the interim between then & now, a LOT has changed in my life, but, the bug has never waned...nor do I want it to Wink
Once I learned that I lived on a battlefield it was time to get a cheap Tesoro and start digging targets. Many machines later here I am. I still dig with an old bayonet. Old school and loving it.
(07-11-2013 11:47 PM)treasurehound Wrote: [ -> ]Once I learned that I lived on a battlefield it was time to get a cheap Tesoro and start digging targets. Many machines later here I am. I still dig with an old bayonet. Old school and loving it.

Are you kidding me?!?! That right there is every detectorists wet dream!!! Don't tease us like that, now you gotta post some of those battlefield finds Yes

Joe
I've always been interested in the hobby. I remember when I was a kid and saw detectors at Radio Shack. I wanted one, but I never got one. Then last year my little boy who was four kept seeing the Whites commercial where the guy finds the big gold cross necklace. He wanted one. Like father like son I guess. Well he got one for his birthday. A Bounty Hunter Jr. We started playing with it in the backyard and finding tons of stuff. From nails to silver coins. We were finding it. The first time we took it to the local park we found a 1901 V nickel. I was like WOW. I was hooked. I had never even seen a V nickel before. I had to research online to see what it was.
That was almost a year ago and now we have four detectors and a T2 in the mail. I recently got a Pro Pointer too. If you don't have one of those GET ONE. They are awesome. I was using a bh pinpointer and it was cool, but the Garrett blows it away. I'm glad I got my kid what he wanted for his birthday.
(07-12-2013 07:01 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]I've always been interested in the hobby.  I remember when I was a kid and saw detectors at Radio Shack.  I wanted one, but I never got one.  Then last year my little boy who was four kept seeing the Whites commercial where the guy finds the big gold cross necklace.  He wanted one.  Like father like son I guess.  Well he got one for his birthday.  A Bounty Hunter Jr.  We started playing with it in the backyard and finding tons of stuff.  From nails to silver coins.  We were finding it.  The first time we took it to the local park we found a 1901 V nickel.  I was like WOW.  I was hooked.  I had never even seen a V nickel before.  I had to research online to see what it was.  
That was almost a year ago and now we have four detectors and a T2 in the mail.  I recently got a Pro Pointer too.  If you don't have one of those GET ONE.  They are awesome.  I was using a bh pinpointer and it was cool, but the Garrett blows it away.   I'm glad I got my kid what he wanted for his birthday.

Great story, Will! My little guy is gonna be 4 too, come August Happy Unfortunately, my son didn't ask for a detector yet, like yours did. I wish he would though, perfect excuse to get out, with the Mrs. Tongue

Mrs.: 'You're going out with your machine AGAIN?!'

Me: 'Yes, honey, our little guy said he wants to go to the park and do what daddy does. So, you can have the whole day free to yourself'.

Mrs.: 'Ok, have fun...and come home whenever you'd like'.

Hahahahaha.

You must have some good parks there. Finding silvers & V nickels in ANY park today is a tough chore, as most have been picked pretty thin over the years. Sounds like you have some great spots, hit'm hard!

Joe
Good stories everyone, keep them coming. Hey Will, its great your son joins you! Mine has been with me since he was 5 or6...he is 17 now. He still likes it, matter of fact we are going on an adventure tomorrow, but now he will only do it out in the boonies, haha. Doesnt want his friends to see him geek out.
(07-12-2013 07:36 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]Good stories everyone, keep them coming. Hey Will, its great your son joins you! Mine has been with me since he was 5 or6...he is 17 now. He still likes it, matter of fact we are going on an adventure tomorrow, but now he will only do it out in the boonies, haha. Doesnt want his friends to see him geek out.

How did the adventure go, Ray? Don't hold back on us, post those finds baby!!!
Well, I just got in, its 10 pm, lots of adventure, little finds. Ill post a story in the morning, gotta go wash up with Technu, haha
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's