Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: silver cob
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: th_6697C1B3_zpsf2178d35.jpg][Image: th_2F0497EA_zps4873bbc5.jpg]
Found this a while back was wondering is there a way to date it.
Cool find.  I don't know about ID, but it's cool.
looks to be some kind of a replica.
heres is one that i recently found similar. the ( florenzada cross ) cross with the spears at the ends where only on the
Mexico city reals. i think they started producing them there in 1572.
if it is indeed a real cob, it would be a Mexico city minted coin.
[attachment=4046]

cool find, really nice ...
Yea I wasn't sure it was real cob. It is silver , maybe made as a piece of jewelry. would be really cool if it was real though.
(11-07-2014 09:52 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2014 09:00 PM)biggredd1972@yahoo.com Wrote: [ -> ]Yea I wasn't sure it was real cob. It is silver , maybe made as a piece of jewelry. would be really cool if it was real though.

still a very nice find.
the real ones are still out there waiting for you. you can believe that ...

yea they probably are but not to many in south east Missouri
Very Nice , still silver!!
I think it is real and just turned into a necklace. 

Silver cob 1/2-real coin of Charles II (1665-1700), Spanish Empire

Spanish coat of arms and a cross / Charles' monogrammed CAROLVS. 

Uncertain mint in the Americas.

This is a "cob" coin, also commonly known as a "pirate coin", as these were the sort of coins commonly taken by the pirates from the Spanish ships on the way to Europe.

http://www.numismall.com/acc/Silver-cob-...mpire.html

Very cool find.  In my world, that is a jewelry find and not a coin find simply because it is too difficult to determine when it was actually turned into jewelry.  But that is just me.  I also count a gold coin in a bezel as a jewelry find.   Yes, it is a gold coin, but.......  that is a topic to discuss on a different thread!
Thanks for the info Ron. I see why it's more of a jewelry find ,but if it's made from a real coin,that's makes it something more than reproduction.
Absolutely.  It is a real coin turned into jewelry.  Actually it is probably worth more as jewelry as far as value goes.

I just classify certain things when I find them.  (Coin, jewelry, nugget, etc.)

Just like a gold ring is made of real gold, but it is not a nugget!  LOL

Yes the pendant is made from a real coin but when was it made into jewelry?

So, yes it is a real cob and a real coin just in my mind I have difficulty classifying that as a lost coin find.

But that is just me-- you can classify it however you want.  After all you found it!! Happy

I was simply helping you ID it and letting you know it is not a reproduction coin used for jewelry.
I understand your classification. There is no way of knowing when it was turned into a pendant. It was jewelry when it I found it. Knowing where it originated from only tells where it started , how & when exactly it got to south east Missouri is the true mystery I'm sure I'll never know.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's