Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Researching a new location
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Bummer on the cold and the hot water heater!! what a pain!!

Stuff in the ground will still be there when you get there!! Wink
Got to go check this place out a little while this morning, I got good directions to it ,but
what I wasn't told is that people have been using it as a trash dump back in the day. I couldn't swing the coil 6 inches in any direction without iron/trash chatter. old paint cans, soda cans, oil cans,mattress springs,etc covered the whole place. Kind of a let down.
Unfortunately some of the best sites get covered in junk!! Maybe in 300 years someone will dug up that junk and get excited!!

"Oh Man--Look a rare BEHR paint can!!" "Yeah, that was the first year they made the "one-coat" primer in paint!! "

WinkWink
(12-11-2014 03:26 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately some of the best sites get covered in junk!! Maybe in 300 years someone will dug up that junk and get excited!!

"Oh Man--Look a rare BEHR paint can!!" "Yeah, that was the first year they made the "one-coat" primer in paint!! "

WinkWink
Yea that is the way it works. The only things I found that I liked was a Peters 32-20 spent brass and a shotgun head stamp both have some age to them but hard to date somewhere from late 1800's on. I sure if someone had time to clean up you might find something worth keeping, but It would take more time than I have.
Maybe one day when I retire and have more time.
I feel your pain on that site and have hit a few of them like that myself after doing some research. But, as you said, you can always go back when you get the time. I go back to them myself but I slow way down and have the settings discriminated out to more than half of the screen with about a third on sensitivity. Sometimes you can pick up a few keepers and sometimes it's just a frustrating trash dig. You never know. Good luck when you retry!!

Ed

(12-11-2014 03:26 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]"Oh Man--Look a rare BEHR paint can!!" "Yeah, that was the first year they made the "one-coat" primer in paint!! "

WinkWink
Ron,

LOL! I resemble that comment!!

But seriously, some of the stuff we dig is pretty laughable. Makes you wonder, "Where and the hell were the cops when somebody dumped all this crap here?"

The future in detecting is going to be real funny. Like all the pennies I find strewn about the bases of trees "MILES" apart. Some wise acre left his card no doubt. I do the same thing with my card in a coin flip and a nice shiny clad quarter enclosed stating "I got here first." on all my big silver finds!!! Ain't it great. No calls yet.

Ed
Get a fast machine with a small coil. It works.
That would be nice but my finance's say got to work with what I got for now. Money's tight and don't look like it's getting better any time soon.
(12-12-2014 08:43 PM)biggredd1972@yahoo.com Wrote: [ -> ]That would be nice but my finance's say got to work with what I got for now. Money's tight and don't look like it's getting better any time soon.

I hear you on that. If money was no matter I'd have a house full of detectors. I'd retire and dig all day. Wouldn't that be nice?
(12-13-2014 12:53 AM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-12-2014 08:43 PM)biggredd1972@yahoo.com Wrote: [ -> ]That would be nice but my finance's say got to work with what I got for now. Money's tight and don't look like it's getting better any time soon.

I hear you on that. If money was no matter I'd have a house full of detectors. I'd retire and dig all day. Wouldn't that be nice?

Redd and Will,

That's a point that we should all remember. We all come from and live in different situations and scenarios of life. I'm kinda semi retired and do work part time as an administrator of soccer fields for 7 months out of the year. If it were up to me I'd be out detecting from dawn until dusk 365 days a year. (OK, 11 am until the flashlight batteries died.) But now, my loving female companion refers to herself as, "The Detectorist's Widow", (and she used to call herself, "The Fisherman's Widow."), but we still have a lot of fun together, except she cannot detect as extensively as I do in any way, and I do all her digging, as I did her hook baiting and fish retrieval.

But. It is the time that we spend detecting, sometimes a very short period, that can bring discovery to our effort. It's not just out swinging the coil. It's doing research, scouring old maps and aerial photos, and looking for where people were, why were they there, when? We are investigators of the past. We ask strangers questions. We seek out information at libraries. We investigate what life has gone before us that is only in old books, maps and hearsay.

It's not just the digging. It's the Indiana Jones in us.

Where is it? Why is it? How can I find it?

And with "any" detector, patience, a good plan, and some time to do it, believe me, you can find it. I am a humble recipient of finds that have left me breathless at the moment. And that's just old silver coins.

It is not impossible. It just takes persistence and time.

Ed
Ed that about sums it all up research and hope to find some treasure in what ever form. Then we got to brag and boast to someone about it. Discussing the techniques with others helps us all learn.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's