Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: OLD Silver!! Great Hunt !!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Congrats on BANNER you guys!!!
Congrats on the awesome finds. The capped bust is in really good condition.
(12-04-2014 01:22 PM)caprock Wrote: [ -> ]Great finds and video.
The Belgian Franc is tops in my book, most history there!

I agree. I love the history of a foreign coin the the Gold Rush sites. Makes you wonder who brought it, what they went through to get here etc etc!

And yes, it is a Belgian coin. I say a lot of things on video without thought. I saw ONE FRANC and immediate said French coin but it is in fact a Belgian coin.
Amazing finds guys. The banner is really lighting up lately.
(12-04-2014 03:40 AM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Mark and I got out to a great site.  1850's-90's house site.

This is a vid of two hunts there.  Mark was killing it in this site.

Tongue Hey awesome digs guys... Up here in NY there more Capped Bust being dug because of the ability of the CTX 3030 to show the numbers which ID these coins. Please, I understand that you are excited and thrilled digging these nice old coins, but stop rubbing your finds, you can knock off a lot of the value of a find being that. Carry some water if you can't wait to see those dates or what you have dug... HH.

The GhostCool
Thank you for the comments and concern.

Here is a post i have made due to the comments about us rubbing the coins we find.

I now just cut and paste Happy

We get that all the time.

What was I thinking? I guess I was thinking "Hey look at this cool coin, I'm going to see what it is and get the date off it!!" Happy

Why?

What I can see immediately and what you can not see on the video, is the condition of the coin when it comes out of the ground. The Franc was toasted and we knew it, the bust (even though we did not know what it was) was well worn and it was obvious. The half dime had nice detail but was tarnished black with "environmental damage" so I am not in fear of ruining any of the coins that we find. When we find a coin that we think is valuable or we can't tell it's condition,we slow down and inspect it before giving it the rub treatment.

Also, the coin is not going anywhere but in my display so if I scratch a nice coin I will let my kids worry about it!! LOL

I have found hundreds of silver coins from the ground and even the finest detailed ones I have found still have environmental damage or micro scratches that are easily seen under the loupe. So, hopefully I never ruin a $10,000 coin and if I do I guess I will just settle for the $8,000 I get for it!! Wink

I promise I will never rub any silver coin that you find!! Wink
(12-14-2014 05:01 AM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the comments and concern.

Here is a post i have made due to the comments about us rubbing the coins we find.

I now just cut and past Happy

We get that all the time.

What was I thinking? I guess I was thinking "Hey look at this cool coin, I'm going to see what it is and get the date off it!!" Happy

Why?

What I can see immediately and what you can not see on the video, is the condition of the coin when it comes out of the ground. The Franc was toasted and we knew it, the bust (even though we did not know what it was) was well worn and it was obvious. The half dime had nice detail but was tarnished black with "environmental damage" so I am not in fear of ruining any of the coins that we find. When we find a coin that we think is valuable or we can't tell it's condition,we slow down and inspect it before giving it the rub treatment.

Also, the coin is not going anywhere but in my display so if I scratch a nice coin I will let my kids worry about it!! LOL

I have found hundreds of silver coins from the ground and even the finest detailed ones I have found still have environmental damage or micro scratches that are easily seen under the loupe. So, hopefully I never ruin a $10,000 coin and if I do I guess I will just settle for the $8,000 I get for it!! Wink

I promise I will never rub any silver coin that you find!! Wink

LoL!

Well said Ron

what a LOT of guys don't get about "dug coins"

is just that = "They're Dug" and not worth anywhere NEAR what a book price shows or website/auction site prices say/show because a LOT of the numismatic value has been lost due to the environmental damage that the grading companies can SEE when they put it under a 100x power microscope to evaluate for grading

that's the reason you (we) see coins graded by PCGS or NGC, etc. tagged with words like "cleaned, corroded, environmental damage, scratched, pitted, porosity, etc." and also why even though they may be graded with XF or even AU "details" to which had the coin/s been in original/non dug condition - they would have brought top dollar but now being labeled with one of the above - have lost 50% or more of their value (especially copper pieces) = most of the the grading companies won't even look at/grade dug up coppers - they'll just send them back with a big fat note saying "no numismatic value/quality left and we can not grade"! lol

I can tell by your lingo and writings above that you already know most/all of this but I just thought I'd put it out there for others to see/learn from

Beer
Thanks MRH,

I know you have been in the coin business a long time and just glad to get a little confirmation.

I always get a comment or email stating "I cringe when I see you rub your coins" "Be a professional and don't' rub your coins" " You just ruined that coin" etc

Now I agree you can scratch a coin by rubbing it with dirt on it. I am aware of that. And I am not out to "ruin" anything I find, but as you and I have stated, 95% of these coins are already damaged by the fact they were in the ground. And Mark and I can see the relative condition when we dig it so we have a pretty good idea if it is rub worthy or not!! Happy
There are some coins that can and do get graded without the "environmental damage" tag but to be honest, I have never sent a coin off to be graded or slabbed and probably never will.

Anyway, sorry to ramble and thanks for taking the time to post!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's