Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Most Memorable Find This Year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For me it was the Sweden ring return, story below.

For me it started out as a normal trip to do a little water detecting at St. Pete Beach. Pickings were slim and when he heard a very sketchy signal ring out while in waist deep water. Thinking it was a bottle cap and indicating near the surface I decided to dig it and get it out of the way. What popped out was a ring that had me shaking my head and more than a bit curious. When I got home I confirmed what I thought I had seen. The ring was marked…18kt 925 Iron. This would explain the strange signal I was getting on my CZ-21. Also inside the ring was the name Katrina and what looked to be the makers mark, Elin. Doing a Google search turns up a jewelry maker in Sweden. I send an email with a picture of the ring to the jeweler and explain the circumstances and hope she can identify the owner so that it can be returned. She had originally thought that my email was junk so she disregarded it. The owner of the ring contacted her to see if a replacement could be made. She explained that she had lost it at the beach in Florida. This jogged the jeweler’s memory of my email and the jeweler replied…”I know” which really confused the owner until she explained the email she had received from Florida. I finally after about a week get an email from the owner with a picture of the ring. However, here is a twist…in the picture that I received the name is Caroline, not Katrina. So I email back saying I am sorry but the ring I found must not be hers since the name didn’t match the one I found. She then replied that she was sorry, English is not her first language and the name inside the one she sent was an identical ring that she and her partner had custom made. Needless to say she was extremely excited to get the ring back noting that the gold used to make both rings was from her grandmother’s ring. She explained that they used iron because “its ruff look symbolizes life together isn’t always easy and shiny but can still be very beautiful.” Both she and the jeweler were both amazed that someone would go to that much trouble to find the owner and return the ring. The jeweler asked for the details of my find because the news media in Sweden had heard about the recovery and wanted to interview her about this remarkable story. It was great fun to make a new friend from Sweden.
[attachment=4726][attachment=4727][attachment=4728]
Sweden?! You're international now, Mike!!! Great story! That's one of the pleasures that comes from this great hobby, being able to do a kindness for someone in need of help. Kudos to you!!! As a diehard fellow CZ21 user of many years back in my beach days, it's one of the Kings of the sand, IMO. Fantastic replay of an exceptional return Yes

Joe
Great story mike, and now you have a place to detect in Sweden if you ever go .Yes
Wow that's a cool story. Nice research to find the owner of such a unique ring. It's always rewarding to do the right thing. Great job.
Mike, that has to be one of the BEST stories I've read about detecting this year!!! If that woman in Sweden has a Guardian Angel, he was with you that day on that beach. Fate has a way of payback and you may be a recipient of "Pass it Forward". You just never know!!! Thanks for the story!!

Ed
Thanks for the nice reply's guy's. It was a great bunch of fun and they did a radio program about over in Sweden that they sent me a link to but I don't understand Swedish so it was really funny to listen to.

Merry Christmas and best wishes to all
Mike
Reference URL's