Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Key Date Indian! Nice Hunt :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Went out with a couple of hunting buddies today. We hit a very old spot that I never tried before. Goes back to the mid 1800's. Literally 30 seconds after noise canceling my Safari and starting to swing, I pull the Indian head up. Key date, 1865. Looks like its in good condition, but, don't want to clean it, so, aside from a warm water rinse, I left the dirt on it until it goes into an olive oil bath.

Next find was an amazing silver spoon. Not sure if it's sterling, or, what they call 
'coin metal', though. It's got a beautiful monogram on it - DU. Hallmark says
'Jones, Ball & Co.'. According to my research, it appears to be from the mid to late 1800's, but, could be a bit later, too. Spied a lot of pieces by this maker being auctioned online, all of which seem highly collectible. I included a short spiel I found online about the company.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ance.../65139.htm

I scored a couple more goodies like the Boy Scout whistle and knife, aside from a few wheats, too. This spot looks very promising. We're headed back there next weekend, as we've only scratched the surface Happy 

As the title says, I had a "nice hunt", but, one of the guys I went out with today cleaned up! He got a silver Washington, silver Rosie, a barber quarter, 2 Boy Scout pins AND a 14k Jewish Star of David, the last of which I saw him dig live. We were heading back to our cars, and he gets a high tone on his Spectrum. He digs it thinking coin, but, I saw what appeared to be a pull tab in the dirt. It was gold, of course. But, here's the funny thing...he was swinging fast because we had to leave, so, his detector must've gave an incorrect VDI in the coin range, which is why he dug it. He doesn't normally dig jewelry signals!!! Luck of the draw Cool We ran all of our machines over it again, and indeed his Spectrum read it in the foil range this time. Unfortunately, my buddy doesn't like to post online, so, can't see the prizes No

Joe
Nice indian. I would hit that spot more.
Nice hunt bud! Nice chunk of silver, and an elusive indian. Way to go.
Nice finds!!  I would get after that Indian.  It is a nice date but you will not affect value much by cleaning it.  I personally think you will help it by giving it a good cleaning!!

Hope that fork is silver!!  Sure looks like it is!!
(07-20-2013 09:02 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Nice finds!!  I would get after that Indian.  It is a nice date but you will not affect value much by cleaning it.  I personally think you will help it by giving it a good cleaning!!

Hope that fork is silver!!  Sure looks like it is!!

Yep, it's silver, Ron Happy Not sterling, though...coin silver. Sterling is 92.5% silver content, hence the .925 marking. Coin silver is only 90% silver, mixed with copper.
I agree on the Indian! After a few days in olive oil & some light scrubbing with a soft bristled toothbrush, it'll look good as new. I'll post pics after she takes a bath!

Joe
Gosh Joe, I would be hitting that place morning, noon and evening. A little bit of rain wouldn't slow me down either. That is what those big black garbage bags are for. stick a couple of grocery bags over your machine, but on the oldest clothes you got and go play in the dirt. Love the buckle, but the Indian speaks volumes to my heart. Be gentle with it.
Reference URL's