Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Need help choosing my first detector.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have nothing against the Ace's, they're just not my mug of beer. In my dirt in NJ, it didn't do so well, years ago. Yet, remember, it's not so much what you swing, it's how well you know your detector, AND WHERE YOU'RE HUNTING that matters most Wink

Joe
True, im not trying to knock the ACE`s either. they are very good entry level machines,
just didn`t care much for them myself. and yes it is ALL about location, more than anything else. even more so than knowing your detector. my wife had NEVER not one time used a metal detector in her life, i took her out to my hunting area with my old ACE250 and right away she pulled up the 1500`s 1600`s Figa colonial bronze charm . that i posted a while back. ( i pulled the second non broken one Wink )
so yes ANY machine in the right spot regardless of skill level will find things.
but once you put some time behind your machine no matter what it is you should do fine. researching good areas to hunt is the key to good finds ...

my wife found the colonial Figa charm
within 15 minutes of ever using a detector - ACE 250 .
[attachment=4990]
I plan on trying to repair the wives charm or having them put into
a gold border ring to secure them so we can each wear one ...
(01-11-2015 09:46 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]True, im not trying to knock the ACE`s either. they are very good entry level machines,
just didn`t care much for them myself. and yes it is ALL about location, more than anything else. even more so than knowing your detector. my wife had NEVER not one time used a metal detector in her life, i took her out to my hunting area with my old ACE250 and right away she pulled up the 1500`s 1600`s Figa colonial bronze charm . that i posted a while back. ( i pulled the second non broken one Wink )
so yes ANY machine in the right spot regardless of skill level will find things.
but once you put some time behind your machine no matter what it is you should do fine. researching good areas to hunt is the key to good finds ...

my wife found the colonial Figa charm
within 15 minutes of ever using a detector - ACE 250 .

Yes Location, location, location. I'd say that's about 70% of what's needed for success in this hobby.

Joe
Im in Wisconsin and I wanna hunt around my great grandfathers homestead from the 1800s for just about anything if that helps. Im interested in the fisher f2 now also. What are some advantages the f2 has compared to an ace 250/350.
(01-11-2015 11:37 PM)17hunter00 Wrote: [ -> ]Im in Wisconsin and I wanna hunt around my great grandfathers homestead from the 1800s for just about anything if that helps. Im interested in the fisher f2 now also. What are some advantages the f2 has compared to an ace 250/350.

"Advantages" are in the eye of the beholder. Some might view them as disadvantages. To ME, the F2 would be the optimal choice, since it's a quicker machine. The display, which you're probably going to be using a lot in the beginning, is also bigger. And it offers much more fine tuning. Best advice I can give you is...

Go to Youtube and watch as many videos as you can, on the machines you're interested in. Read the manuals. Read the forums. Then, make a decision and buy.

Joe
the F2 sounds like a great choice, some of the Teknetics machines are fairly well priced as well, and look to be pretty good starters .
if you are fairly sure you are in the hobby to stick it out for a while, you might want to bump up your spendable limit by 50 bucks or so and you can often pick up a used AT Pro for around 400.00, and with that, you will have a top notch treasure hunter that will serve you well into the future, with no need to upgrade for a while or at all . ...

also like Joe said, the F2 has a better ID read out, the ACE`s just have an arrow that points to the possible target ID.
the F2 also privides the number ID scale, which offers a bit more ID info on your target. and better ID tones .
the F2 ( BH3300 ) also has better depth, and a spot on pin pointing. the ACE`s are a little quirky to get used to at first ...

and the Bells. the Bells enough of the Bells .... when that ACE goes off in your earphones you will know it ...
the F2 is much more friendy on the ears ...
I'd just like to say thanks to everyone for all the help lately. My final possibilities that I've narrowed it down to are the Fisher f2 and the eurotek pro and the teknetics Delta 4000 (possibly). Which one is best for relic and coin hunting in your opinion?
What is it about new?
For 350 you could find a good used MXT with an extra coil.
Blows anything mentioned here out of the water and becomes a back up for life if the hobby takes and you upgrade.
Better value .
Given the choice of those 3 I would get the ET pro. They are all made by the same company and that one is the newest design. It has some added features like iron volume that could be useful. I've read alot of good about it.
(01-12-2015 02:10 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Given the choice of those 3 I would get the ET pro. They are all made by the same company and that one is the newest design. It has some added features like iron volume that could be useful. I've read alot of good about it.

Not to be confused with the regular ET, right, Will?
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's