Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: First True Discriminating Detector?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(01-14-2015 10:16 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Tape over speakers is to keep them clean and dry. Probably was used at the beach. It would be cool to see the finds it made.

I don't think so, Will, not in this case!!! Lol. I didn't like the fact that a lot of items didn't have pricing on them. That's a bad sign, and normally means they're playing the pricing game with different people. Major strike. I maybe woulda bought it for shits & giggles if it was $15 or something, but, like Ed said, the grand puba was probably in the house yelling at his kids for selling his prized detector, and wanted to get the most out of it he could.

Joe
I love a garage sale with no prices. Name your price. See what they come back with. Or ask what they want then if it's high, go way lower. Kinda like Rick Harris.
Maybe the old guy inside was trying to make up his lost from that detector. By asking for that much $$$$$$$$ :chuckle:LOL
(01-14-2015 11:18 PM)bulletbob Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe the old guy inside was trying to make up his lost from that detector. By asking for that much $$$$$$$$ :chuckle:LOL

I feel for you on that one! Yes Been there, done that!
Garage sales are great when everything's priced to go. I picked up a Compass 77Yukon B at one that's the same age as me and it works great.
Here are some picture of the tom cat detector
(01-17-2015 11:47 AM)bulletbob Wrote: [ -> ]Here are some picture of the tom cat detector

Was the "MODE" a form of notch, Bob, that could try to silence pull tabs & such?

You know, we can all laugh now about these old machines, but the reality is this...

For THAT point in time, they pretty much did their job beautifully. Remember, in the 70's & &0's, there was still MASSIVE amounts of old coins within the first few inches. Additionally, they were everywhere; parks, schools, easements, etc. So, if a detector was only capable of getting down 4 or 5", that was MORE than enough. Also...

The discriminating capability didn't need to be aces, as there were SO many coins around, it actually paid off to dig through heaps of junk. Like shooting fish in a barrel. Nowadays...

To find an old coin in most spots within the first 6" is quite rare, so, if someone has to wade through tons of trash to find one of these rarities, it simply wouldn't be worth the effort. That's why depth, coupled with accurate VDI is so important in these times.

You guys had it MADE back then!!!

Joe
(01-17-2015 12:00 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-17-2015 11:47 AM)bulletbob Wrote: [ -> ]Here are some picture of the tom cat detector

Was the "MODE" a form of notch, Bob, that could try to silence pull tabs & such?

You know, we can all laugh now about these old machines, but the reality is this...

For THAT point in time, they pretty much did their job beautifully. Remember, in the 70's & &0's, there was still MASSIVE amounts of old coins within the first few inches. Additionally, they were everywhere; parks, schools, easements, etc. So, if a detector was only capable of getting down 4 or 5", that was MORE than enough. Also...

The discriminating capability didn't need to be aces, as there were SO many coins around, it actually paid off to dig through heaps of junk. Like shooting fish in a barrel. Nowadays...

To find an old coin in most spots within the first 6" is quite rare, so, if someone has to wade through tons of trash to find one of these rarities, it simply wouldn't be worth the effort. That's why depth, coupled with accurate VDI is so important in these times.

You guys had it MADE back then!!!

Joe

Yes the mode was to discriminate that item. Wasn't a bad detector at the time
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's