Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Not Platinum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(02-17-2015 01:23 AM)Detector Nut Wrote: [ -> ]Cool looking whatever it is!

Amen Yes I sent you a PM Happy

Joe
could be copper ore. Maybe?
So what did you detector say it was? All the way towards the silver end or lower end like nickle?

Are any sides real smothe? If one side is smothe it still could be a metorite but not made up of metal.
(03-02-2015 04:49 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]So what did you detector say it was? All the way towards the silver end or lower end like nickle?

Are any sides real smothe? If one side is smothe it still could be a metorite but not made up of metal.

Detector said 1-30 high tone. Too heavy to be a stone meteorite. Silver test is negative. So is the platinum test. I'm leaning toward Galena but you just don't find it around here. I'm going to take it over to the Geology Dept at Baldwin Wallace College sometime this month.
It's worth a try, let us know because it's too heavy to be melted down alum.
Good luck
(02-13-2015 01:12 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]I found this in a patch of woods alongside the river and was curious enough to keep it. Except for just a little cleaning with tap water it's pretty much the way I found it. It's not magnetic, is very hard and not malleable like lead and weighs in at 144 grams, or 5.1 oz. Tests negative for platinum. Without taking it to a local university geology department do any of you guys have a guess? The Noble Metals don't have any history around here and I'm thinking it may have been deposited by a glacier. It was at 10" down.

Ed

Could be a meteorite or I think it might be lead
Ed\ODF, if it is a good piece of metal and worth some bucks - I hope you remember the spot because there may be some more lurking around.
If you find out what it is please inbox me
Any updates on this piece, Ed? I don't know much about minerals, but I find this thread intriguing. Did you check to see if it has a low melting point?
(01-31-2016 10:29 PM)RelicMedic Wrote: [ -> ]Any updates on this piece, Ed? I don't know much about minerals, but I find this thread intriguing. Did you check to see if it has a low melting point?

No I didn't do a melt test. No facility for that. And I haven't taken it to a college because "They don't have any geology programs!!!". Can you believe that. So I think I'm going to take a shot at some of the local High Schools and see if there are any geology courses and teachers. Another avenue I might try is maybe there's a Geology Club near here I could contact.

And this stuff isn't lead. For sure on that. You can't even scratch it. Another possibility is Chromium.

Ed/ODF
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's